Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Securing an 1911 Ambi Safety

Weimer01

I've fitted a few ambi safeties over the years, my question or request for comment (RFC) is regarding the ambi side. I've had some that never walk and others that just don't stay put and you need to pinch them every so often to close that little gap between the frame and safety.

What are your tricks to ensure they don't walk out?

Edited by Weimer01

Buy a King's style safety. Not sure if King is making them anymore, but I'm sure there's another company that makes that style. It uses the hammer pivot pin with a groove that fits into a mating groove in right side safety. When the safety is disengaged, the weight is carried by the pin, not the grooves in the safety pivot.

Buy a King's style safety. Not sure if King is making them anymore, but I'm sure there's another company that makes that style. It uses the hammer pivot pin with a groove that fits into a mating groove in right side safety. When the safety is disengaged, the weight is carried by the pin, not the grooves in the safety pivot.

King's is gone.

I have that style of safety, and although it doesn't walk out, the RS lever is always loose.. If you want one that will stay put, then go with the Wilson unit.

http://shopwilsoncombat.com/Ambidextrous-Thumb-Safety-Tactical-Levers-Bullet-Proof-Blue/productinfo/192BBP/