Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Too Extreme of Adjustment?

BobS761

I have drifted my rear sight so the right edge is flush with the right side of the slide. I'm shooting spot on at 10 yards now. Does this seem an extreme amount of adjustment? (I know I can adjust both sights, this was just field expedient.)

I understand trigger control can lead to shoot left, and also that all bets are off when I get trigger work done. But, if it's the gun, I want to get it fixed. XDm .40 4.5"

Thanks,

B

• 4 weeks later...

I had a S&W 1911 that shot like that, and splitting the difference between the sights "felt" better/looked better while shooting, but was irritating to look at otherwise. At least, it was irritating for a while. The shooting is all that really matters, and I was able to accept it.

Shot several XDm's that belong to friends, all factory original, and none of them did this. I don't believe they would build a gun that you had to have the sights set up like this, to shoot it straight. Just to be sure, you may want a solid gunsmith to take a look at it, and determine that everything is working as advertised. You should always get what you pay for and I like how the XDm feels, It's a good platform.

I have an XDm 9 and had an XDm .40. The sights are fine (normal) on the 9 but the .40 required the rear sight to be far left in order to hit POA. Never liked that, and sold it partly because of it. It was definitely not a dirty gun or bad shooting habit problem, it was the gun.

my xdm 5.25 9mm has the front sight within .001 of center, and the rear sight is almost flush with the right side of the slide.

That's where mine is as well. I'm hitting well, but if I don't focus on sight picture and just look over the slide, it looks crooked. Dad has same gun, POI is left as well, but only half as much as mine. Sadly, there is no gunsmith anywhere around here.

• 2 weeks later...

I had the same issue with my XDm 5.25 9mm.

I gave it a thorough cleaning and lubing.

It now shoots perfectly with the rear sight centered.

I have 12k round through my xdm, and have never noticed a POI shift from being dirty or clean, certainly not to the tune of a couple inches. Mine "hits left" as others have said out of the box, clean, and after 5k rounds of lead without cleaning. it's really not a big deal to me. i adjusted the sights the first day i shot it and have not had to change it. it is a pretty accurate gun.

Shot several XDm's that belong to friends, all factory original, and none of them did this. I don't believe they would build a gun that you had to have the sights set up like this, to shoot it straight.

they did. despite your extensive testing on only "several" of the guns. :roflol: