Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

3 gun rifle conversion

Nebwake

I have a DPMS lo pro classic 16" and was planning on putting a comp, trigger, and a free float tube on it. It has a fairly good bbl on it right now but being a bull, it is super heavy and would need threaded and tapered down to make the comp fit and look right. I got a quote of $200 to machine and Ceracoat the bbl and install the comp and another $100 to coat the rest and i can instal the rest of the partts. So here is my question, is there a better option out there? I really do not want to spend more than $500 for everything (trigger, tube,bbl, comp) and right now, I could careless about Ceracoat, I would do fine with parkerized for now. Is there a bbl that is reasonable in price and very accurate (MOA or better) that is threaded for the comp, and what comp do you like? Thanks!

I also do not have the cash for an over inflated priced BCG or bolt so I would like to keep my factory hard to clean low quality DPMS one for now. Once things calm down I may further upgrade the rest to a standard profile upper, matched lower and jp BCG. And rebuild my lopro classic to it's normal form.

Edited by Nebwake

Also what twist should I get? Someday when you can buy .223 components I will tool my 550b to load it, but for now I have about 3000 rds of 62g green tip and 1000 55g umc. But it seems like many shoot heavier for 3gun. Do I need a 1/7 or 1/8 for the heavier bullet?

Green polymer tips are not an issue are they? You are talking green painted tip as in AP military surplus ammo, right?

Green polymer like the Hornady Z-Max is fine. Green painted milsurp 62gr SS109/M855 contains a penetrator that attracts a magnet, damages steel, and will get you booted from matches.

The ammo I have is for shooting my own targets on my personal range... And yea it's steel core penetrator ammo, not shooting that at steel. I just want a barrel twist that will allow heavier 70ish grain tgt loads and 55 g cheap stuff