Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Who uses small rifle primers for pistol?

KentG

• 6 months later...

I know small rifle can be used but I'd like to hear from those who do. I would guess some of the trick guns may have issues but my uses would be for striker fired XD's in 9mm. Using stock springs and with a Springer Precision trigger job. I have plenty of small pistol for the near future but when things settle down in a few months I'd like to order more primers and just ordering CCI small rifle covers rifle and pistol maybe.

So who is using small rifle for pistol??

I use small rifle on my XD 9mm tactical without modifications (all stock including springs) if there is no small pistol available

I need to do 9mm minor loads for Production. I only have a box of small pistol magnum primers.

Trodrig - you said you use small Pistol Mag primers for Production Minor... really? is it possible?

I am desperate as I have no small pistol primers left. Shall I just try Magnum primers for 10-20 rounds as a test? I always go by the manual but I have to improvise.

Any advise will be appreciated...

thanks,

Eli

I also use small magnum pistol on my production gun (pro series 9mm) and my Khar P9 & CW9, XD

Edited by PinoyShooter06

I need to do 9mm minor loads for Production. I only have a box of small pistol magnum primers.

Trodrig - you said you use small Pistol Mag primers for Production Minor... really? is it possible?

I am desperate as I have no small pistol primers left. Shall I just try Magnum primers for 10-20 rounds as a test? I always go by the manual but I have to improvise.

Any advise will be appreciated...

thanks,

Eli

I also use small magnum pistol on my production gun (pro series 9mm) and my Khar P9 & CW9, XD

I do the same, and saw only a 1-3 PF increase using FED SPM instead of FED SPP.

The same question could be said.. Could you use large rifle primers for say a .45acp?

I am pretty sure your could, 45 is a very low pressure round.

Hindsight is 20/20 I have a bunch of primers and won't need to stock up for a while, but it if I were to do it all over again, I would just buy Federal small rifle primers for everything that I shoot in competition.

The same question could be said.. Could you use large rifle primers for say a .45acp?

Be aware that while the Small Pistol primer and Small Rifle primer are the same size (dia & length), the Large Pistol Primer and the Large Rifle Primer are not. They have the same diameter, but the Large Rifle Primer is longer. If you load Large Rifle in a pistol case you may have the fully seated Large Rifle primer standing proud of the case head. Not a good thing.

Be aware that while the Small Pistol primer and Small Rifle primer are the same size (dia & length), the Large Pistol Primer and the Large Rifle Primer are not. They have the same diameter, but the Large Rifle Primer is longer. If you load Large Rifle in a pistol case you may have the fully seated Large Rifle primer standing proud of the case head. Not a good thing.

They will be high, have tried it once... would not do it again.

(Edited for grammer and clarity...)

Edited by GuildSF4