Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Who uses small rifle primers for pistol?

KentG

I know small rifle can be used but I'd like to hear from those who do. I would guess some of the trick guns may have issues but my uses would be for striker fired XD's in 9mm. Using stock springs and with a Springer Precision trigger job. I have plenty of small pistol for the near future but when things settle down in a few months I'd like to order more primers and just ordering CCI small rifle covers rifle and pistol maybe.

So who is using small rifle for pistol??

I have used Federal Small Rifle for 9mm major and minor, 40 major and minor. They were never more than 15fps faster than small pistol. It was easier to just buy one kind of primer for everything. I've shot them from Glocks, XDM's and STI's. Some with factory triggers and some with fancy triggers, never had a problem that was related to the primer.

I use SRPs with slower burning ball type powders in most calibers anymore. I quit stocking up on magnum pistol primers and now only buy std small pistol and small rifle primers. I wish I could do the same with large primers, but that won't work.

Yeah, large rifle primers are thicker (taller?) than large pistol. (Primer pockets are deeper on large rifle brass)

Best way to see if they will work in your gun is to load up 15 or so with the SRPs you would be using and try them in your own gun. The fact they work in someone elses gun is interesting but immaterial to whether they work flawlessly for you.

The only problem I ever had with SR primers was when I bought some Wolf SR primers when that was all I could fine. They worked in all my 1911/2011 pistols, but my striker fired M&P Pro had about 1 in 10 failure rate.

Like pistol primers, not all rifle primers are the same. Some are soft and some are hard. Just because your gun will run one brand, does not mean it will run another, especially for striker fired pistols.

I use small rifle for minor in my XDM 5.25 9 and my open guns. Just easier not to switch primers back and forth. Not going to use small pistol in Open as they do not hold up to the pressure.

• 2 weeks later...

I need to do 9mm minor loads for Production. I only have a box of small pistol magnum primers.

Trodrig - you said you use small Pistol Mag primers for Production Minor... really? is it possible?

I am desperate as I have no small pistol primers left. Shall I just try Magnum primers for 10-20 rounds as a test? I always go by the manual but I have to improvise.

Any advise will be appreciated...

thanks,

Eli