Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Pickaway County Sportsmen Steel Challenge

I am pleased to announce that our first match f the year will be run tomorrow, February 16. I know it is suppose to be a little cold bit I just want to hear the steel ringing.

We will be running matches on the third Satrday of each month through October as it stands.

Match dates:

February 16

March 16

April 20

May 18

June 15

July 20

August 16-18 (large match)

September 21

October 19

Set up starts at 8:00, registration starts about 9 and first shots as close to 9:30 as possible. Public is welcome to all matches. New shooters need to arrive by 9am for the new shooter orientation. Match fee is $10. We generally have a reshoot of the stages, $5 for the reshoot, rimfire is free on reshoots.

Starting with the march match, PCSI will be running matches in affiliation with the Steel Challenge organization, including scoring and classification if you are a member of SCSA.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

• 2 weeks later...

We are planning on having our regular match on March 16 this month. Four stages, potential for a reshoot depending on the weather and time. I will not be there this month but will have a couple people running the match for me.

This will be a good tune up for anyone planning on shooting the US Steel Shoot in Titusville the following weekend.

Might try to make the match. What do I need pistol wise or what are the divisions?

You definitely want to make it to the match. It's a great place to shoot and Madison is pretty cool too. As far as what gun and division. That depends. There is open, limited, and revolver. And all 3 of those in rimfire. I'd say pick the one you are most comfortable with. You will need at least 2 mags but best if you have a couple more. Each stage requires 25 rounds but they are in 5 round strings...... if you don't miss.

Are you going to need help with the "large" match?

I will need help, I already have you committed as the actual match director!

There is a thread on here for the match and I will be spending a fair amount of time over the next two weeks getting stuff together and sending out staff requests.

Might try to make the match. What do I need pistol wise or what are the divisions?

You definitely want to make it to the match. It's a great place to shoot and Madison is pretty cool too. As far as what gun and division. That depends. There is open, limited, and revolver. And all 3 of those in rimfire. I'd say pick the one you are most comfortable with. You will need at least 2 mags but best if you have a couple more. Each stage requires 25 rounds but they are in 5 round strings...... if you don't miss.

To echo what Conrad said, I do not break up the divisions as much as USPSA does. I roll limited, production and single stack into my "limited" division for the monthly matches. This is less confusing to the newer shooters to explain. And, for the those of us who may be a little competitive with each other, it allows us to run heads up with our preferred rig/division.

In addition to pistols, pistol-caliber carbines are welcome at the monthly matches. We have had quite a few folks being out their 22LR carbines and a few bring out the 9mm AR-style guns. There are some basic safety guidelines that must be followed with the rifles and carbines which will be covered at the new shooter orientation and/or the shooters meeting. Namely, they need to stay cased or have a chamber flag and be carried stage to stage muzzle up.

If all goes as planned and everyone helps out, the main match is done about 1:30 or 2:00. If you reshoot, generally about 4:00. These are general, if there are fewer people, we have been done as early as noon. However, we had a match last year with 70 or so and it took quite a while, people started finishing up about 2:30/3:00.

For the April match, I am going to have a special division for J-Frame/CCW pocket guns. Everyone seems to enjoy this and it allows for some practice with guns we do not generally shoot a whole lot.

For this division, the intent is for folks to shoot their pocket guns, generally 5 shots for the revolver and 6-7 for the autos. We will all start at the low ready position, no drawing from a concealment holster. For this match and division only, I will allow .380s to be shot. If you intend on shooting this division, please have a buddy system set up to help keep mags/speed loaders full. This will help the process go more smoothly for all of us. ALSO, if you are shooting 380 or any other surplus ammo, please check to make sure there is no steel in the bullets themselves. This will destroy our plates and I will be most unhappy.

I will not have any targets beyond 20 yards for this, but there may be a 10" plate or two for the day!

Edited by MadMadWorld

Your stand-ins did a great job and we had fantastic match - sunny and 55F weather, dry, and a lot of good shooters and a lot of new shooters. Enjoyed all the stages.

Glad to hear all went well. I look forward to seeing everyone next month.

Thanks to all those who showed up and helped.

• 2 weeks later...

I'd like to say " Wow that was a long winter!" I really should have been practicing and dry firing over the winter. It took me till the last stage of the reshoot match to finally find my front sight. Thanks Mr. Anderson for helping me find it.

I like the idea of running my carry piece for practice but I dont think I want to run my xd-s through an entire match with full power 45 acp rounds. I think I might bring it and run it in the reshoot for a few stages.

I like the idea of running my carry piece for practice but I dont think I want to run my xd-s through an entire match with full power 45 acp rounds. I think I might bring it and run it in the reshoot for a few stages.

I am sure we can find some powder puff loads for you that will cycle in it. I certainly won't be shooting full house 357 that day.