Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

WSF response to temperature

okorpheus

WSF isn't reverse temp sensitive like WST.

As far as WSF v W231, it takes a couple of tenths grain more for same velocity but WSF is a lot cleaner than 231. Either works well with 9 or 45, I preferred WSF as it is bulkier than 231 and filled case more and easier to see in case and make sure you didn't have a double charge.

WSF isn't reverse temp sensitive like WST.

That is a false statement. WSF is reverse temperature sensitive just like WST. Both powders increase velocity when cold and decrease velocity when warm.

Good to know what type of temp change are you talking about to notice a difference I live in Hawaii so temp doesn't really change or vary to much maybe 15 degrees at the most. Temp around here is 70-85 degrees

• 10 months later...

Bringing this back up for my education.

How much velocity drop or increase per change in temperature? Right now, working up loads at 65 to 70 degrees but knowing I will be shooting in 105 - 110 as well.

Guess the question, is a 40 degree swing enough to worry about or you won't notice?

As a reference, I worked up a load of 5.3 gr behind a BBI Moly 180 hr at 1.180 going about 940 fps out of my Trojan .40 at 80 degrees. I shot that same load at 45 degrees and saw a 10 shot average shooting 947 fps. Same location just different time of year.

I have since bumped my load to 5.4 gr to cover temp and Chrono variance. I did load some at 5.6 gr and saw about 990-1010 fps out of the same gun at the lower temp.