Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

AR COMP load data

airborne101

Try Handloads.com if VV try www,lapua.com

The two I use are CFE223 & Accurate 2520. Most folks have opinions / strong feelings about what they like.

This point in time, you will be loading whatever you find. since guns, ammo, re-loading components have gone to hello in a hand cart, and greed has taken over.

But never fear we have the best Goverment Money Will BUY and will never change without term limits.

Perry

I just loaded up some Hornady 55 fmjbt over 24.0 grains of AR-Comp. This gave me 2953.7 pfs from an 18" AR barrel with a 1.5 battle comp. Primers looked a little flattened. SD was 11.5 and ES was 40.0 and my test group for the chrono was less than 10 rounds. I loaded up 150 of these to try at a 3 gun match tomorrow.

Alliant lists a max load of 24.7 for this bullet. Some of the loads are compressed. I might go a bit lower next time. Start at 90% of the max load and work up, while looking for issues with the fired cases. That is what I did.

Alliant lists loads on their web site.

AR Comp meters very well. h-335 actually is messy from my dillon press, beacuse the granuels are so small. I could really see the gas blow out of the comp as I was firing the loads with AR Comp powder.

What powder measure do you use, I just picked up a pound of AR comp and a pound of IMR 8208xbr to try out. I load on a S1050 and you are right about H335 being messy, W748 is also. From what I have read AR comp is working better with heavy bullet, not that it wouldn't be fine with 55's.

• 5 weeks later...

I load my 223 on a Dillon 550 with dillon's powder measure. AR comp seems to meter well, but did get a tad inconsistent when the hopper got below 3" or so. Load data wasn't readily available for bullets under 50 grains, as my brother found out when he bought the bullets he could get his hands on, and they happened to be light. I plan to shoot only 55-68 grain bullets, with most being 55 grain. This powder is on my short list of to buy powders. I did run some H-335 after the AR Comp, and for some reason had less spillage, but it is still messy. AR comp didn't spill at all. I am willing to use either 335 or AR comp. I also have a bunch of imr 4895 that I can use, but I have not yet used it in 223. It seems to be a bit longer grain than ar comp. I have also considered surplus powder, but haven't tried it. I like cheap powder, so who knows what I will end up with next time.

I've been using H335 and absolutely love how well it meters. It does slosh out and spill out the powder measure a little. My last batch of 223 I used some ARCOMP and it did okay but the powder wasn't measuring all that great. The variation didn't make as much difference as I thought. My target was 24.0 and my measure dumped anywhere from 23.9 to 24.2 grains. Out of 10 shots, the Extreme deviation was 30 and standard was 12 fps. I would expected more variation.

These were Hornady 55gr V-Max and were averaging 3180 fps.

At 24.0 grains, I'm slightly above the base of the neck. You sure aren't going to over load those by much without knowing it !!

Richard

Edited by rwskinner