Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Holster question

jmel

I'm a newbie when it comes to USPSA and IPSC shooting, having spent the last 31 years shooting long range(IHMSA) handgun silhouette shooting. Was wondering what holsters, belts, people are using in the USPSA Limited class?? Pics would be nice!

I have a Glock 34 right now, maybe a 1911 type in the future.

Thanks

Melvin

Welcome to the forums.

Most people are using a two belt system with either a race type or a standard holster.

A two belt system consists of an inner belt threaded through pants belt loops and an outer belt secured with velcro to the inner belt. This allows one to mount the holster and ammo carriers to the outer belt and avoid the need to thread them on everytime one goes to the range. It also allows for an easy peel off removal without disturbing gear placement on the belt. There are several manufacturers of the two belt system: CR Speed, DAA, Safariland come to mind, but there are others.

A race type holster is a holster that covers only the trigger guard usually via some form of locking mechanism. Some use a muzzle plug/platform but most do not. The same manufacturers come to mind for this type of holster. Additionally, there is the Amandini Ghost, the Gugas and the Manny Bragg.

A standard holster is exactly that - one that covers most of the gun including a good deal of the slide. These can be made from leather but most are now made from a heat formed plastic/kydex and are very closely fitted to the profile of the specific gun. BladeTech, Ready Tactical and many other manufacturers produce this type of holster.

If you can get out to a range, you will see all of this gear setup in various configurations to conform to the rule set for the particular USPSA division. Ask around and you'll get lots of feedback on what people like/dislike.

Edited by lumpygravy

Hmmmm. Lumpy and Grumpy!!! Thanks for the replys. Thanks, lumpygravy for the explanations of the belts, and thanks Grumpy for the links to threads.

I'm trying to read all I can, and plan on visiting Spartanburg Gun Club in SC for ne of their matches to see what this is all about

Thanks again

melvin

Melvin from Greenwood , SC . 31 years of IHMSA. Sounds like a guy I used to shoot with at Little River Gun Club. Is this the same Melvin? If so, I may be coming to the March 2 USPSA match in Spartanburg. I would be glad to squad with you and show what little I know about Limited USPSA. I can even bring some gear that you can run your Glock 34 in if you like.

Mark

Melvin from Greenwood , SC . 31 years of IHMSA. Sounds like a guy I used to shoot with at Little River Gun Club. Is this the same Melvin? If so, I may be coming to the March 2 USPSA match in Spartanburg. I would be glad to squad with you and show what little I know about Limited USPSA. I can even bring some gear that you can run your Glock 34 in if you like.

Mark

Yep, what's left of him. Robert and I are still running the matches in Lincolnton. I still shoot sillywets, but I like the idea of maybe trying this game. Mike Morris, of gaffney, is a friend of mine that goes way back to when I first strted shooting silhouettes in gaffney and Charlotte. I bought his Colt 1911 with the marvel 22 conversion.

I will be at Ron's match in gainseville on that date, but thanks for the offer, Mark. haven't seen you in a long time hope you are well.

Hope to make it to Spartanburg real soon, though