Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Montana Gold

TerryO

Chowell you are being extremely combative and many of your antagonistic comments are against the forum rules. I have been smacked down by the mods for much less and think it is only a matter of time before the same happens to you. You really need to lighten up. None of us are happy about availability of components right now. Adding insult to injury is not helping at all.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Chowell you are being extremely combative and many of your antagonistic comments are against the forum rules. I have been smacked down by the mods for much less and think it is only a matter of time before the same happens to you. You really need to lighten up. None of us are happy about availability of components right now. Adding insult to injury is not helping at all.

I dont see our discussion as combative at all. But if thats the vibe that's being percieved then I retract any/all statements.

Those of you who would like to read the "quoted" portions of my posts, feel free, and judge for yourself whether they were "combative" or not. Just because something goes against your own opinion, that doesn't make it "combative"...that's called discussion.

All of my "Original" posts related to this discussion have been deleted per "Sarge's" request as he believes they are against forum rules.

Edited by chowellacsbd

So at what point does someone say hey let's hire more people...?

The problem is when the demand dies down you have to let those people go plus you have to train them up in the short term. The rush needs to last long enough to justify that.

Which it has. Companies hire people seasonally every year for the holidays. People work from Thanksgiving until Christmas. We are almost at 4 months. There are plenty of people out there who would be happy to work for 4 months.

So at what point does someone say hey let's hire more people...?

The problem is when the demand dies down you have to let those people go plus you have to train them up in the short term. The rush needs to last long enough to justify that.

Which it has. Companies hire people seasonally every year for the holidays. People work from Thanksgiving until Christmas. We are almost at 4 months. There are plenty of people out there who would be happy to work for 4 months.

Great point!

Edited by chowellacsbd

I have to believe that MG can't just go out and buy a new machine to make more bullets. These sorts of things are not off the shelf items.

You are 100% correct. It's possible that from order to delivery it could be 6 months. I'd also go so far to say that they probably wouldnt even order more equipment for a temporary rush.

The most they can do is run at max output with the equipment they have and the raw materials they can get. Unless you want to burn yourself and your employees out you need to hire some temporary employees to make it thru the rush. Since we don't know their operating costs or profit margins as well as other variables we don't know if they could afford it even if they wanted to.

Edited by Babaganoosh

With the people in this thread who obviously think that they know what it takes to be an effective, profit turning bullet manufacturer it indeed puzzles me why there is a shortage of components. :sick: [read the sarcasm]

edit: actually read sarcasm through the majority of this post.

Simply adding "another machine" alone won't increase production output. Try 4 new machines minimum for a full, no bottle neck production line, all costing tens of thousands. Along with the machines you'll need set up techs & operators to run them, then the maintenance personel to keep them running, then the operators running the logistic sides A & B of pre & post production.

Sure, there's an overnight fix for a 12 month shortage right there waiting to happen: just add tons of money they have squirrelled away in cookie jars from gouging & hope that the bullet fairy delivers them trained techs & operators to their door in the morning.

If it was also as simple as adding extended work week or around the clock production they'd still have to sacrafice a few chickens to JoBoo and hope that their supply chain could keep them in raw matterials & parts that are ordered months ahead of time. Again, hoping that the bullet fairy got their address correct so he can deliver the trained & experienced manpower to man the work hours being proposed.

In all honesty I think it's a little more than selfish to start railing against a manufacturer because I failed to maintain an adequate supply stock for my hobby.

I was caught flat myself in having only 5k of 124gr fmj on hand for this year. Lesson learned: I will maintain try to maintain a 6 month stock from this point on.

Edited by dzhitshard

Thanks for the updated link for the site!

I got my order in for:

1000 x .400" 165 gr. CMJ

1000 x .400" 180 gr. CMJ

Recently, I've been on a 10mm kick, so this order should keep my in business for a while. 'm sitting good on .357SIG, 9x19, and .45, but will be placing an order with them next time I need to top off the stash.

-BB

I've already received USPS tracking info for this order, which was just entered a few days ago. Woohoo!

I faxed an order in the day before the site came back up and then ordered 2 boxes through the new website of 3,000/4,000 the next day... BOTH showed up today. I now have double what I wanted... I guess the fax method works...

Edited by MesaAndy

Thanks for the updated link for the site!

I got my order in for:

1000 x .400" 165 gr. CMJ

1000 x .400" 180 gr. CMJ

Recently, I've been on a 10mm kick, so this order should keep my in business for a while. 'm sitting good on .357SIG, 9x19, and .45, but will be placing an order with them next time I need to top off the stash.

-BB

I've already received USPS tracking info for this order, which was just entered a few days ago. Woohoo!

That was a heavy box! Got the goodies today, just over a week after I placed the order. Great CS, and I'm happy to do business with them.

0C8F020A-65B0-4DB1-A61E-6AC4803D24FF-11534-00000623E8A960DA.jpg

I opened the box of 180 gr. to see what they looked like. Looks like a copper-coated base with a gold jacket. Looking forward to loading some of these and the 165 gr. bullets out and running the test loads over the chrony.

74CABE60-EC0D-48AE-843F-4415AB0380AD-11534-00000623EB575E67.jpg

I also received my two orders Monday just a week after I placed them. First order was faxed and the second was done on their new website while it was up. So both methods did work - not sure about now...

Montana Gold called this week and left a message indicating that the 9mm 115 gr. CMJ bullets which I ordered in January were still not available. They suggested that I consider JHP or FMJ as substitutes. I emailed and asked if the CMJ would be in stock in the next 30 days. They said "No". I changed the order to JHP. The shipping notice was sent 3 hours after I changed the order. It appears that CMJ will continue to be difficult to find.

• 4 weeks later...

Montana Gold called this week and left a message indicating that the 9mm 115 gr. CMJ bullets which I ordered in January were still not available. They suggested that I consider JHP or FMJ as substitutes. I emailed and asked if the CMJ would be in stock in the next 30 days. They said "No". I changed the order to JHP. The shipping notice was sent 3 hours after I changed the order. It appears that CMJ will continue to be difficult to find.

I still have a backorder for 115gr CMJs from early Jan.. Hoping to get them in time for next season.