Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

FMJ more accurate than JHP?

Giant81

After all the reading I've done, I'm of the impression that JHP's will shoot consistantly better than FMJ due to the way they are constructed and the more pronounced side of the bullet that engates the rifling.

But as I've been reloading, I've found that specifically the 115gr Hornady XTP I have shoot terrible out of my stock glock 26 where the exact same load with a 115gr FMJ (both Magtech 115 FMJ's and a pack of 200 no name CMJ/TMJ's from a gun show) shot very tight groups.

Am I just not pushing the XTP's hard enough? (I'll find out this weekend when I chrono them) or does my gun just not like reloaded JHP's? It tends to shoot commercial JHP's fine so maybe it's just my loads.

Thoughts?

we're talking a Glock 26 right? most likely a CCW piece? grab a paper plate, go stand in front of the mirror, place paper plate in front of your chest, centered. we're talking a paper plate sized target at across the room distances. does either round really have to be all that accurate for its intended purpose?

if you're just gonna punch paper with that gun and your reloads, I'd go with whatever is cheapest.

I believe, could be wrong, but I believe the Hornady bullet is a plated bullet which is a whole different animal altogether. If I'm right, the plating is very thin compared to a fmj bullet. Anyway, you might check into that. A little too much crimp with a plated bullet & away goes any chance for accuracy.

MLM

I believe, could be wrong, but I believe the Hornady bullet is a plated bullet which is a whole different animal altogether. If I'm right, the plating is very thin compared to a fmj bullet. Anyway, you might check into that. A little too much crimp with a plated bullet & away goes any chance for accuracy.

MLM

You are wrong. The Hornady bullets are jacketed, not plated.

Edited by superdude

The XTP is one of the most accurate factory bullets available! Many top competitors use it in their reloads. As was stated, each pistol is different unto itself. Take the next Glock 26 off the line after the one you have and it is most likely going to shoot different from yours. Not my opinion, but stated by experts many times in print.

Richard

They came with the press, I will never carry handloads, so I was loading the XTP's to run them for competition but haven't been able to find a load as accurate as the FMJ RN that I've been using too.

And other than PD, what else would I use 115g XTP's for in a 9mm? I don't hunt with it.

I shoot the 26 in USPSA and if I ever find a club near me, I'll also run it IDPA. it's my carry peace and I do it mostly for practice. Though I've been looking at a 34 for USPSA. Keep the 26 for CCW and use the 34 for competition.

Thanks for the help, maybe I'll try pushing the XTP's a bit harder. I'm not getting any pressure signs and I've got them sitting on top of 5.4g of Unique and I don't have any in front of me but I believe they were loaded to 1.090". I'll chrono them this weekend, if there is room (and I suspect there is) I'll push a few harder and see if they straighten up. If now I'll just keep the rest for my 34. maybe it will like them better.

They came with the press, I will never carry handloads, so I was loading the XTP's to run them for competition but haven't been able to find a load as accurate as the FMJ RN that I've been using too.

And other than PD, what else would I use 115g XTP's for in a 9mm? I don't hunt with it.

I shoot the 26 in USPSA and if I ever find a club near me, I'll also run it IDPA. it's my carry peace and I do it mostly for practice. Though I've been looking at a 34 for USPSA. Keep the 26 for CCW and use the 34 for competition.

Thanks for the help, maybe I'll try pushing the XTP's a bit harder. I'm not getting any pressure signs and I've got them sitting on top of 5.4g of Unique and I don't have any in front of me but I believe they were loaded to 1.090". I'll chrono them this weekend, if there is room (and I suspect there is) I'll push a few harder and see if they straighten up. If now I'll just keep the rest for my 34. maybe it will like them better.

http://www.alliantpowder.com/reloaders/powderlist.aspx?page=/reloaders/powderlist.aspx&type=1&powderid=3&cartridge=23

The more mechanical processing that you do to a bullet (hollow point, boat tail, plastic tip) the more you decrease bullet accuracy. Its one of the reason why a lot of benchrest guys shooting at distances where wind isn't a big factor use simple, flat base bullets.

Mike.

The more mechanical processing that you do to a bullet (hollow point, boat tail, plastic tip) the more you decrease bullet accuracy. Its one of the reason why a lot of benchrest guys shooting at distances where wind isn't a big factor use simple, flat base bullets.

Mike.

I'm actually under the opposite impression that the hollow point and boat tails help the bullet fly flatter and the additional processing needed to obtain those properties can lead to a more consistant round.

Though I could be wrong..

Unique is not the best 9mm powder for accuracy. Try V V320 or 330, bullseye, 231, titegroup, hp38, etc. Need a fairly fast powder.

I'd suspect that's more the issue than anything. I've got the pound of Unique that I'm using as my first powder. I wanted something voluminous that was almost impossible to double charge without spill over. I'm looking for some W231 but it's slim pickings out there. maybe I'll see if anyone has any H38 but I'd bet if they are out of one, they are out of the other.

I did have a chance to make to the range and chrono them and there is lots of room there. In fact I'm right on the line for power factor so there's room to push them a bit harder. I was pushing them between 1050 and 1100 fps. I'd like to get them closer to 130 pf.

Thanks for the help.