Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Trojan front sight

Nebwake

I picked up a Brazos micro dot for the front on my trojan but I CANNOT get the blade out. I worked for a while with a nylon punch but to no avail, Im I stuck taking this thing to a gunsmith? aroud here they are all a month or more behind. Also, it seems like the new sight will not index in the dovetail, do you need to relive a little metal on these? Thanks!

I had the same issue with my Trojan and a Dawson site. I used nylon and ended up taking it to my gunsmith. He had to pound it out with a 5lb hammer and 3/8 inch steel punch. said he had never seen a site take that much effort to remove.

I vote steel punch and bigger hammer. If the slide isn't rock solid that'll absorb some of the blow. It's more difficult if you're trying to save the sight, I wasn't.

As for installing, you might need to remove metal. If it goes about 1/3 of the way in you're good, hammer it home. If it doesn't file carefully on one edge of the dovetail, the sight not the slide. The key is to try it often during the process so as to avoid an embarrassing phone call to Brazos.

• 1 month later...

had that happen with my first sti ranger II, gunsmith had to hit it so hard it tweaked the sight, he fitted the new sight perfect. said the only sight that was worse was in a kahr

Mount the slide solid in a vice using a piece of leather belt to keep from maring the slide knock it out left to right. use a solid metal punch unless you want to save the sight. You will need to file on the new sight to get it to fit. A little time spent here is well worth it.

New sight should tap in with just a snug fit, a drop of locktite if it just a little to loose.

Dawson has a great install video on their site. They send a aluminim punch with their sights that works great.