Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Open Benelli reliability

zmanktm

I have 2 M2 Benellis set up for open that hold 12 rounds in the tube. I have a problem common to both guns. I have a failure of the magazine tube spring to propel the next round far enough back on the lifter for the shell rim to depress the shell latch releasing the bolt to move forward and raising the shell into position to be chambered. With the shell laying up short on the lifter my action is locked back and the new round is laying on the lifter. Sometimes to clear this malfunction it’s as simple as pushing the bolt handle forward but sometimes it’s a bit more complex to get things functioning. This is happening on a year old gun and a brand new gun. I use new springs from Nordic in my old gun and my new gun spring is of difference manufacture that came with my Dave’s metal works tube. As for spring length I do not cut off any length off. I have about 14 inches of free length spring sticking out of my tube which by most posts I’ve read should be more than enough. What I need is a stiffer more powerful spring for complete reliability. Does anyone know of any?

Thanks in advance!

I had this problem and it was caused by my oversized GG&G bolt release button bumping the outside of the frame and not letting the back of the bolt release lever get out of the way of the lifter as it rose. I had the overall size reduced and the back 'thinned' so it sat up farther off the gun. Might check that on yours. When it stops, turn it over and look to see if the lifter is dragging on something. I spent most of a match bumping my charging handle until someone told me to have Rob Romero look at it. It jammed for him, instead of bumping the handle, he actually bothered to look and spotted the problem right away. I unscrewed the o/s button and the gun ran fine. I've also heard about a different/stiffer lifter spring (?) being needed.

Larry thanks for the info. I do have a Nordic button on one of the guns and I checked it out but it is not the problem. I do run the heaver lifter spring in the old gun but have not installed it in the new one. I’m still scratchin my head. Any other open guys running 12 in the tube without problems? What springs are you running? And any advice?

I run a 12 round tube in all my guns. I have issues when the spring gets used and weak. I'd say a spring will last 2-3000 rounds if I had to guess. 14" sticking out the end sounds sufficient. Is your shell catch real stiff? It maybe slowing down the shell? KurtM polished my catch to slick it up too.