Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Magazine change practice

Slidestop

I've been having a problem with my magazine changes. It seems that my thumb is just not long enough!

I have a Brazo's custom edge, .40, with the enlarged mag release button. I do have large hands, but maybe a short thumb.

It seems that I can almost reach it 50% of the time.

Any suggestions would be helpful.

Many have the same issue. Most just rotate the gun in their hand to hit the mag release.

If you can slide your thumb over the button but without enough pressure to release the mag, you can purchase various weight springs for the mag release.

But it is important to note, the with table starts, either the weight of the gun or your technique for picking up the gun could activate the mag release. So you either have to flip the gun over or adjust your table start technique so as not to activate the mag release thereby dropping the mag as you pick up the gun.

Unfortunately the SV mag release will not fit a STI frame. It works quite well for most folks.. On my single stack grips, I channeled a groove for my thumb to hit the release. It is quite popular now on the new grips.

Had the same problem, so I bought one of Jimmy Mitchell's custom right side mag releases. You can then use your index finger on the right hand without changing your grip, plus it keeps that trigger finger off the trigger when making a mag change. I have small hands and short fingers. You might also consider a reduced grip.

Being a left shooter and having my mag releases setup for a righty. I love ing able to hit the mag release with my stong side middle finger. I don't have to shift my grip to do it, there is a lot of strength in the mddle finger to have a positive mag release, and it is near impossible to have your finger on the tringger while changing a mag this way.

Just a thouhgt for you righties to shift your mag buttons to the "lefty" side.