Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Division for SP-01 Shadow

Andreas

I picked up an SP-01 Accu Shadow from CZC as my first traditional DA pistol (been shooting 1911s and S&W M&Ps up to now). Learning the DA first shot will take some doing. I'm wondering if folks typically run these pistols in Production (hammer down) or Iron Sighted Pistol (cocked & locked) when running them in Steel Challenge. I'm leaning toward Production and the associated learning curve since that's where this pistol would play in USPSA.

I've done both, but it makes more sense to me to start hammer-down. I only use steel challenge as practice and something a little different, and my main focus is uspsa, so it makes sense to train the way i plan to shoot.

FWIW, I haven't been able to detect a significant speed difference in the first shot with either method.

Typically, around here it's a production shooter looking for extra match time, so production. At the local level, by that I mean here, it's not broken down any further than center fire iron sights. So you could do whatever you want holster, and ready condition wise.

Me personally, I can't reach the safety on my Shadows so I'd never use it cocked and locked. I have little girl hands. If you can, go for it. Try both see what you think you get the most out of.

If you get a race holster it'd give you the option of shooting ISP, and IPSC Production at a bigger match.

Thanks for the advice, particularly asking the question of what I'm trying to accomplish with SC shooting. I'm leaning toward the hammer-down start after thinking about that and finding that my small hands will only let me disengage the safety if my grip is perfect. A slight miss, and my thumb sweeps harmlessly past the safety. That wouldn't be a good thing to have happen during a match! I was surprised that my DA first-shot times with the Shadow were nearly as fast as with my M&P.

An hour of dry fire resolved the issue with reliably disengaging the safety during the draw. It was a matter of strong-side thumb positioning when first establishing my grip. But I'll stick with the hammer-down start for now. The pistol will get a workout in a Steel Challenge match tomorrow.