Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

45 brass really make that big of a difference for bullseye?

tiger49931

Ok i loaded my star line brass with Federal match large pistol primers, 3.6 of clays ( laddered 3.6, 3,7, 3.8, 3.9, ) and Bear creek moly 230 grain( 235 or so ) went to the range to accuracy test my STI USPSA single stack 1911. Just so see what load it liked the most with tightest group. 20130205_124112_zpsda0c1da4.jpg

Is what i got 5 shot group off rest at 50 feet.. Nice group

So today i used my bunch of reg range brass ( Mixed brass federal . winchester, remington etc)

and today i went back to range to confirm my load all single handedly loaded to a strict 3.6 grains with the same federal match large pistol primers and bear creek bullets. Only to see my groups go from above to spiratic all about an inch to inch and a half , some holes touching others two bullets almost same hole third out in left field a inch or so away. does brass really change pressures that much? I mean for idpa its a great group but for the small club bulls eye match here i wanna be able to rock it out. Im convinced to just load all brand new starline for the match but just wanted opinions. so i dont get this 20130205_124046_zps51d0210a.jpg

Different brass has different thickness,weight and height. Your loads can vary a lot. IMO the big difference in accuracy comes from crimp. The bullet hold varies due to changes in crimp from the brass differences. This will throw your bullets all over. Try sorting the brass and only shooting groups by brass brand. Re check and adjust your dies for each brass brand of loads. I'll bet the group size will stabilize. Better yet, just stay with the starline.

I'm tempted to go with what bull2700 said.

I'm willing to bet it was you not the ammo.

Did ya bench those shots or doing that standing up and holding the gun. If it was a set of bench groups it could mean what you imply, the ammo.

Did not notice you saying how ya shot those groups.

ALso, as others said, need more group runs. Hope ya find something significant and post back.

I've noticed that when the brass is fired a bunch of times and its length changes, that makes a huge difference in accuracy because it affects the crimp. Head stamp really doesn't mater, but the consistency of the case length does. for me anyway.

Compare them from a mechanical (Ransom) rest at 50 yards, then decide. If the shooter's vision, hold, technique, etc are factors, you're not testing the ammo. The added distance brings out issues that aren't apparent at shorter ranges.

FWIW, mixed brass shoots well enough that I don't bother sorting, even for the long line (50 yard) match. The gear shoots much better than I can hold it.

Mark

• 4 weeks later...

Having shot Bullseye since the 60's, I have gotten the best results ever with small primer Federal brass. My accurized Colt's Gold Cup delivers more consistent groups and more X's with this hull. Folks who shoot serious Bullseye, want a load and gun that will shoot a 100-10X on the Slow Fire stage on demand. Misses must be the shooter's fault, not the gun or ammo.

Matched small primer brass is my key to success.

Edited by Shooting Coach