Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New to Steel Challenge- Do I need to complete a "classifier"

SoCalNoMore

I would like to shoot my first Steel Challenge and would like to know if I need to complete a classifier first. And if so, does it need to be a USPSA or Steel Challenge sanctioned classifier?

I joined both the USPSA and Steel Challenge clubs but the have not sent any info yet.

Thanks for your help.

• 2 weeks later...

Check with your local clubs. Some will hold an introduction class for new shooters to learn the procedures outside of the match. My wife and I had one last fall for lady and youth shooters. It gave them the chance to find out what to expect in a match without the pressure of competition. We plan to have more this summer. Steel matches are a great place to get started due to simple courses of fire and little movement. For the class we had the shooters shoot the first couple strings from low ready then gave them the option to draw if they wanted to as they got more comfortable.

If you haven't allready, you to a match and see how it's run. At our club, we have a pre match meeting, then the groups are set, and the new shooters are placed at the end of the shooting order so they can see how the process is done.

Hope this helps.