Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2013 Midwest Regional ICORE

Okay, guys there are enough wheelgunners in the Midwest that we shouldn't have the "Midwest Regional" in freaking Fallon - "clear to hell and gone the other side of the divide" - Nevada! It may be set for this year but I will do what I can to find a club in Missouri or Illinois to hold the match for next year. We don't even have an ICORE club in the St Louis area but I'm working to change that. Do you have to be an affiliated ICORE Club to hold a regional match?

Edited by COF

Okay, guys there are enough wheelgunners in the Midwest that we shouldn't have the "Midwest Regional" in freaking Fallon - "clear to hell and gone the other side of the divide" - Nevada! It may be set for this year but I will do what I can to find a club in Missouri or Illinois to hold the match for next year. We don't even have an ICORE club in the St Louis area but I'm working to change that. Do you have to be an affiliated ICORE Club to hold a regional match?

COF, contact Vic Pickett at this e-mail adress, match@icore.org . At one time the Midwest was held in Tontitown, Arkansas. With a lot of planning and hardwork done by Mike Luttrell and a few others he was able to hold the event for, I think three years. The ICORE Club was small. Rick Miller ran it I believe for another year but particpation declined for the monthly mactch to the point where even he had to call it quits. GOF you build it and I will try to be there and help what I can. later rdd

Thanks Bubber, I've sent emails out to a couple of the big clubs in the St Louis area to see if they would host the 2014 match - gives them plenty of time to prepare. Also going to check with the WSSC in Sparta. They have done quite a bit the last couple years including hosting the Wounded Warrior and Illinois State IDPA matches the last couple years. Even with the political climate in Illinois, revolvers are politically correct so shouldn't be a problem. The club I belong to is small and wouldn't be able to host but I'm working on getting some monthly matches going there.

I shot an indoor match a few years ago down at Tontitown. That's when I figured out you have to take the extractor out before you chamfer the cylinder, otherwise you're standing in the dark trying to figure out why you can't reload because a round slipped over the extractor and is still in the chamber :angry2:

Edited by COF

COF, of course I cannot disagree. I do hope you'll be able to host it there in 2014 - as it should be.

As I understand it, no clubs in the real midwest wanted to do it in 2012 and 2013. So, we jumped at the chance! And I think we can claim our 2012 match was a great success.

If you can find the time (and $$$), please do come shoot with us this year. I think you'll enjoy it. I think you'll find our "clear to hell and gone the other side of the divide" town and shooting range quite nice. And, Reno is only an hour away, and Lake Tahoe is about 1.5 hours away - plenty to do and see there!

I do wish you the best of luck in your endeavor!

Post script

I'm trying real hard to NOT take offense to your reference to "freaking Fallon" and our "clear to hell and gone the other side of the divide" location. And it ain't easy.

Edited by varminter22

Not to rain on anybody's parade but I tried to have it in the Quad Cities but with the range being in Illinois and that state not being in the Midwest Region I was told no. Things have changed and now living between Mt Pleasant and Des Moines and working in Des Moines I do not have the time to run a match or for that fact even shoot one. It sucks to have to start all over again in life. I wish you the best on trying to get it back in the Midwest and if you do maybe I will be back on my feet at that time and will be able to come and throw bullets. I do have a reputation to live up to as I was the last overall winner of the last one held in Tonitown even if it was by the slightest of margins and if I recall .5 sec was the difference and yes I still have the hand made long bow made by Mike Luttrell and it is a beauty. :)

A few years back we had the Sunflower Classic ICORE match in Topeka Ks. It was one of the best matches I have attended. It was very well run and attended so I know it can be done with the right leadership. I'm hoping that the discussion about USPSA letting 627's in revolver will start something again. It's going to be a tough summer with the availability of bullets and primers. I saw only part of what it took to make that match happen and it takes a real commitment and skill set. It may help get things started if some of us get together and buy Dave Williams a 627. :)

... the last one [Midwest Regional] held in Tonitown ..

In what year was the last Midwest Regional actually held in the "real" Midwest???

COF,

According to the ICORE archives, the last Midwest Regional (held in the "real" Midwest) was in 2009, with a whopping 27 shooters attending. 21 in Limited Div and six in Open Div. http://icore.org/arc...esults2009.html

In sharp contrast, the match last year in "freaking" and "clear to hell and gone the other side of the divide" Fallon, Nevada, had 87 entries (a few folks shot two divisions.) 29 in Open Div, 42 in Limited Div, and 16 in Classic Div. http://www.stillwate...mber-22-23-2012 and http://www.icore.org...esults2012.html

That said, I wish you the best of luck in hosting it in your area in 2014.

In the meantime, you are cordially invited to come shoot with us in beautiful and friendly Fallon, Nevada. Perhaps that will change your opinion of "freaking" and "clear to hell and gone the other side of the divide" Fallon, Nevada.

Please see our schedule at http://www.stillwate...h-schedule-2013 I think you'll find plenty of shooting opportunities.

Edited by varminter22

I don't care that Fallon wants to hold a match and hey if you can get all those Californians out of their communist state to come play more power to you. But it should be called something other than the Midwest regional, mainly because it is in western Nevada.... but from the land of Disney that's what I expect... mickey mouse like things... ICORE seems less appealing every time they do something.

Varm22, I looked up the results of several Midwest Regionals and saw the same results. Not sure why we can't get that many wheelgunners in the midwest. Seems like ICORE is big in California and the rest of the western slope and I can see why you got the participation you did last year and will probably have this year. I applaud your efforts and hope the match is a success but Chris is right about one thing - it shouldn't be called the Midwest Regional. Don't get me wrong, I'm not sniping at you and your team for putting on the match but If it can't be held in Illinois and be called the Midwest Regional, how can it be held in Nevada and be called the Midwest Regional? Doesn't make sense by any stretch. Maybe one of the powers that be at ICORE can explain that...

Varm22, ... I applaud your efforts and hope the match is a success ... - ... Don't get me wrong, I'm not sniping at you and your team for putting on the match ...

Thanks.

As I said, I agree it should be back your way.

Fact is, no club back that way wanted to do it in 2012 and 2013. So, we jumped on the chance.

I wish you the best of luck. Get it going again in the MIDWEST.

Can't guarantee I could attend, but would love to. I was born and raised in rural Missouri.

Looking at the Archives Page, it appears that the First Annual Midwest Regional was held in 1998 and ran through 2002 for the 5th Annual. After a 3 year absence it returned in 2006 for a 4 year run through 2009, nothing in 2010 or 2011.

Now that said, since it appears that there are times where finding a club to hold the match is problematic. Is it better to have no match at all, than have one that's not in the Midwest? ICORE only has so many regions and so many regionals.

Taking shots at Nevada and California isn't going to help get the Midwest Regional and ICORE clubs in your area! It certainly isn't the Fallon clubs fault nobody else wants to put it on.

I attended the match and it was very well done! A great balance of stages, friendly range staff and a great range. I will be shooting the match again this year!

Yes, it is close to me in California and travel distance, days and dollars do matter. But can anyone really say, no match at all is better than one that isn't held in the Midwest? I'm not on the ICORE board so I don't know for sure, but I don't believe anyone else applied for it and was turned down in 2012 or 2013.

Edited by Brian Gonsalves

I don't have any issues with a match being held in Fallon, NV. By all accounts, last year's match was an outstanding match and I applaud the folks who put on the match. I'm not taking shots at Nevada and California - they've got more ICORE shooters then anywhere else. My issue is with having a match called the Midwest Regional being held in Fallon, NV when it wasn't allowed to be held in Illinois(always thought that was considered part of the midwest) - doesn't pass the common sense test. The powers that make those decisions may have changed. Part of my disgruntledness comes from the lack of support in the actual midwest for this match.

Personally, I haven't been in a position the last couple years where I could take on getting an ICORE club started in the St Louis area. I'm hoping to change that this year and do whatever I can to get the Midwest Regional back in the midwest and the good folks in Fallon can put on their Fallon Invitational or whatever name they give to their outstanding match in the future.

I don't have any issues with a match being held in Fallon, NV. By all accounts, last year's match was an outstanding match and I applaud the folks who put on the match. I'm not taking shots at Nevada and California - they've got more ICORE shooters then anywhere else. My issue is with having a match called the Midwest Regional being held in Fallon, NV when it wasn't allowed to be held in Illinois(always thought that was considered part of the midwest) - doesn't pass the common sense test. The powers that make those decisions may have changed. Part of my disgruntledness comes from the lack of support in the actual midwest for this match.

Personally, I haven't been in a position the last couple years where I could take on getting an ICORE club started in the St Louis area. I'm hoping to change that this year and do whatever I can to get the Midwest Regional back in the midwest and the good folks in Fallon can put on their Fallon Invitational or whatever name they give to their outstanding match in the future.

Jerry if you get a big ICORE Match in St Louis I'll show up, maybe with a few buddies. Might have to sell the Mini14 and buy a 627 even.

Wow!

Cant believe my favorite match of 2012 went full flame in one short post. Whatever it gets called, I will continue to shoot this match as long as it is half the fun it was last year. I cant begin to explain the un-willingness clubs in the Midwest have against hosting a match half the caliber "freaking Fallon" was last year. If ICORE had more dedicated shooters like yourself there might be more local regionals to you. Shooting last year in beautiful freaking' Fallon for the first time, meeting so many wonderful people, it is no wonder Stillwater hosted an inaugural 87 shooter match. My wife and I plan on hitching up our fifth wheel again and going to Fallon each and every year they host a match. Call it the "half way to hell" Match if you wish. You can have your Midwest name along with all 27 shooters. You could even make up shirts that say "I drove 600 miles to to be shooter number 28" if it make you feel all warm and fuzzy. I doubt you intended to offend but with comments like you made it is hard not get defensive. Im just glad to see that I do live in a great State. I would hate to live where Major ICORE matches were few and far between.

enjoy...

Great news for midwestern wheelgunners:

Preliminary discussions are in place to bring the ICORE Midwest Regional back to the midwest in 2014!

The ICORE board still has to approve it, but our home club in Ankeny, Iowa has offered to host the match next year. We have a beautiful new range that will be a perfect venue for the match.

You can have your Midwest name along with all 27 shooters. You could even make up shirts that say "I drove 600 miles to to be shooter number 28" if it make you feel all warm and fuzzy.

enjoy...

Fallon should continue to hold a major match... is there a rule that says they can't? the more major matches the better but what if the iowa club was ready to host one this year? basically it appears that they would be SOL

here's the thing...

unless a state has a large following of icore members it isn't going to be feasible for most clubs to have anything bigger than a monthly match. I don't see a large marketing scheme to grow membership....

example if we hosted an event at my home club in okc would we get more than the 12 or 15 shooters that show up for the monthly? not to memntion the nmber of icore members in oklahoma that didn't renew their membership..

the last membership meeting they raised dues and required you to shoot x amount of classifiers to participate as a classified icore member in good standing at the irc. I don't know if this was the best strategy to attract new members.

we have another member that isn't renewing.. that leaves us with bubber, harold nicholson and myself as the only Oklahoma members that are somewhat active in ICORE... that's not good odds is it??

Fallon should continue to hold a major match... is there a rule that says they can't? the more major matches the better but what if the iowa club was ready to host one this year? basically it appears that they would be SOL

We would not have been able to host the match this year, anyway. Our major match calendar is already set for the year--we are hosting the 2013 USPSA Iowa Sectional match, and the 2013 Iowa Ruger Rimfire Championship. That's enough for this year. We are still a relatively new club and are still building our equipment and staff experience level. In 2014, the USPSA Iowa Sectional moves elsewhere, which will give us the resources to be able to focus on building a really good ICORE Midwest Regional (assuming we are approved by the BOD).

Regardless of what happens next year, I'm glad the guys in Fallon stepped up in 2013, and I have no doubt their regional will be a great match. :cheers:

Regardless of what happens next year, I'm glad the guys in Fallon stepped up in 2013, and I have no doubt their regional will be a great match. :cheers:

Dang! time to call Nate and beg him to continue with or without any "Regional" title. We could call it Churchill Classic or Stillwater Showdown. Whatever it gets called it will have 80+ shooters shooting 10+ stages. Good luck with Iowa. Excited to hear any attempt to grow our sport. I know what dedication and sacrifice is required to volunteer so much time. :bow:

MR Hamby, it appears you are the one turning on the flames. I haven't said anything negative about California or Nevada or the outstanding match the good folks in Fallon put on last year and will probably do this year. My beef - as I've already stated - is that we are having a "Midwest Regional" a LONG WAY from the midwest. That would be like having a match in Missouri and calling it the West Coast Regional. Thanks to Mike and the folks in Iowa we are on the way to finding a home in the midwest.

I'm glad you folks have the ICORE participation you have and wish the folks in Fallon continued success in the future with whatever they decide to call their match

By the way - my description of Fallon's location comes from the "Mountain Men" - except for the freakin part...

Mike, will plan on it for next year, just don't have it in February or March!

Heck, if you take a count by state of ICORE members and then divide it by location, Fallon might be MIDWEST! Especially with the high membership on the west coast.

I took this thread as an attempt to spark some interest in ICORE in the middle of the country. Not to put down the Fallon ICORE club or match. And it looks like it might bear some fruit.

• 3 months later...

Irc is in the books. Looking for apps for MId West reg.? :goof:

Jason

Got a chance to speak with Mike at the IRC. Wendy and I will do everything we can to make it out to his match next year. I would like to apologize for getting so defensive when I thought I might loose a match out here. Selfish me. I did consider the Central and Southern but both of them conflict this year. Lets hope for wise planning next year to resist overlaps. Tough to do these days with all the great matches going on everywhere. I have full faith in Mike if he can get one together. I also had the pleasure of shooting with him at the IRC. Man-o-man is he smooooth. Makes it look so effortless.