Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

From one noob to another- trigger control

SoCalNoMore

I am posting this for any new shooters that may be interested. I had the "light bulb" go off yesterday while watching a random shooting technique video. If I can find it again I will post it here.

Some background info. I am left handed and right eye dominant. I have been training to shoot with both eyes open and also training to limit my recoil anticipation. For some reason, I often pull my shots to the right of my point of aim. So I have been working on my trigger control and grip.

So watching this video the guy was showing an example of the effects of where your trigger finger is located on the trigger can affect the shot. His demonstration is what lit my bulb. I copied what he was doing in the video.

Here it is;

Hold the firearm with your strong hand out in front of you, then turn it so the gun is parallel to the ground and the top of the gun is facing you. Again, you are looking at the top of the gun while it is turned sideways. With only that one hand, squeeze the trigger (dry fire please) You will notice as you squeeze the trigger the gun will move from one side to the other. I was able to see and feel what muscles in my hand were causing me to turn the gun when I pulled the trigger. I went to the range and guess what? I fixed my issue since I knew what to look for.

Awesome, I found the video.

here it is (thank god, my description stinks)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4nlAmKLDT0E

• 2 weeks later...

I'm also cross dominant (the other way) and all my shots make a nice little pattern on the left of the bullseye. I figured it was one of the things you described. I'm going to work on that next. Normally my accuracy is acceptable but steel plates at 20+ yds kill me.

Thanks for posting this to motivate me. Now I just need some practice ammo.

I'm also cross dominant (the other way) and all my shots make a nice little pattern on the left of the bullseye. I figured it was one of the things you described. I'm going to work on that next. Normally my accuracy is acceptable but steel plates at 20+ yds kill me.

Thanks for posting this to motivate me. Now I just need some practice ammo.

Tim, I have never felt being cross eye dominant was detrimental to my shooting accuracy. Now I am shooting with both eyes open and not blinking and this was also a big improvement.