Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

POLYCHOKE for 3 gun?

barrysuperhawk

I have been kicking around sending my SG off to have it cut for chokes...actually I desperately need to do this, I really needed to do it 3 months ago, but that's another story.

Anyway, I have a old barrel for a SG I don't even own anymore that has a polychoke on it and that got me thinking. Is there a reason a polychoke wouldn't be a good idea for 3 gun?

Threading a barrel from scratch and buying half a dozen chokes can add up to some $$. OTOH, this would give me every choke I would likely need without having to screw with removeable chokes at all. Maybe a cat-tail on the end might not make mid-course adjustments a good idea [but, you have to admit it's funny to think about if it wasn't such a bad idea..]

This is what I am talking about:

http://www.poly-choke.com/choke.htm

polygold2.jpg

This offers the following SETTINGS

X-Full (Closed)

Full

Improved Modified

Modified

Improved Cylinder

Slug

X-Full (Open - Cylinder Bore)

Two settings past Cylinder Bore

The only reason I havent pulled the trigger on this already is I have never seen another competitor using one, so I am looking for the reason why...

I was squadded with someone using one at Ozark 2011. He genuinely did use it to change constriction depending on the stage.

They used to be popular decades ago, but nearly every shotgun is threaded for interchangeable chokes these days, so poly-chokes are declining in popularity.

Carlsons will install chokes in your barrel for $125 and it includes three chokes: http://www.choketube.com/choke-tube-installation.php

Poly Choke now makes a version with choke tube threads, but the one in Brownells catalog is vented, so it would put you in open. I always thought that would be the way to go. Other problem would be if your mag tube extends beyond the barrel. Diameter of the Poly Choke might cause it to rub on the tube. Of course you want to use what you have on hand, just consider the mag tube clearance problem and go for it. Be our tester. You might start a trend.

I used one for about a year and the capability for rapid change in pattern size was useful, its just that the Polychoke wasn't worth the disadvantages. You will eventually get erratic shot patterns and poor slug accuracy with extended use before a thorough cleaning. I noticed carbon fouling and wad shavings were collecting under the Polychoke "petals" during a match affecting how well it worked.

I have use one on a Remington open gun, although I have other shotguns that I am using also. I had no problems with it as long as it was kept clean (like the rest of the gun). I have posted this question in the past here on this forum, and was told the same things that you are.

I have used both the Polychoke and SGM screw on chokes on my S12's. The SGM work better (more consistant pattern) the polychoke really has to be dialed down to X-Full to notice any difference. If I had to do it again I would stick with screw on chokes..but the polychoke is better than nothing.