Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which optic and mount for Open Glock

Tuflehundon

I have decided to build an Open Glock this year. I am wondering which optic and mount people are using.

I am looking at either a sideways Mounted CMore Slideride or a Carver STS mount with CMore STS mini dot.

I like the fact that you don't need to worry about ejection issues using either of those options since they aren't in the way.

Sideways CMore mount:

http://www.bb-enterprise.biz/item180683.ctlg

Carver STS mount:

http://www.bb-enterprise.biz/item179891.ctlg

I currently have both. I built a 35 using the sts and micro mount. I later bought a 17 with the 90deg mount and a fill size c more. I would highly recommend the 90 deg mount with the full size cmore. The bigger glass on the full size c more makes dot tracking much easier. I will eventually be getting that same set up to replace the micro set up

I currently have both. I built a 35 using the sts and micro mount. I later bought a 17 with the 90deg mount and a fill size c more. I would highly recommend the 90 deg mount with the full size cmore. The bigger glass on the full size c more makes dot tracking much easier. I will eventually be getting that same set up to replace the micro set up

Thanks. Good to hear from someone that has both. Only reason I was thinking about the STS is that I would not need any permanent mods to the frame. But I do like the larger optic of the full size at the same time.

I'll go with the 90degree mount then.

The SJC is the way to go. While it does modify the frame, the advantage is you get more of a holster selection open to you it Racemaster, Racer, Ghost etc. With the Carver mount, it is a Modified CR speed as your only option. The cmore slideride is also a nicer dot, cheaper and allows you to change modules and adjust the intensity of the dot as well as having a much greater fov,

I have an Israeli Fab defence USM mount with a Burris Fastfire sight on one of my Open Glock 17's. It mounts on the weaver rail on the frame only. At first I was a bit concerned expecting accuracy problems because the plastic Glock frame does flex slightly.

In use it has absolutely no accuracy problems whatsoever. It will shoot "snake eyes" point of aim all day long.

Ejection is perfect with major and minor ammo.

The only thing it needed doing to it was the Weaver rail it comes with on the bottom needed milling off. Simple to fit with no modifications to the gun.

post-31812-0-90057900-1360174919_thumb.j

The SJC is the way to go. While it does modify the frame, the advantage is you get more of a holster selection open to you it Racemaster, Racer, Ghost etc. With the Carver mount, it is a Modified CR speed as your only option. The cmore slideride is also a nicer dot, cheaper and allows you to change modules and adjust the intensity of the dot as well as having a much greater fov,

I just picked up a Ghost holster last week to. I got it used really cheap, but I really do like it. The more I think about it, and the more Open gun I check out, the more I want the SJC mount with the Slideride.

I started with the original SJC and a C-more but had a bunch of ejection issues. I switched SJC mounts and use a FastFire now with no ejection problems. I miss the C-more though.

I had the same issue. Wound up using a flat single cut fine file and removed some material and that solved my ejection issues.

I started with the original SJC and a C-more but had a bunch of ejection issues. I switched SJC mounts and use a FastFire now with no ejection problems. I miss the C-more though.

That's one of the reasons I am looking at the SJC sideways mount for the CMore. It's supposed to be better on ejection.

I also build an open Glock and I want a side mount "sjc", for "Slide-ride". But since I live in Estonia (EU), SJC does not want to send mount to my country.

Who can to me sell this mount? Or tell the seller that sells for export?

Edited by Liske

I'd suggest a slide mounted one as the frame to slide fit on a Glock usually isn't as tight as a 1911, for instance. Slide mount keeps the barrel and slide in a tighter relationship with the optic. I've got a slide mount Burris FastFire III that seems to hold well, although it isn't on a Glock. One advantage to the FF III is it is click adjustable, which is a lot better than some of the other optics out there.

Interesting topic. I see C-more is popular and Trijicon isn't mentioned. For example is a J-Point or RMR mounted on the slide of a Glock a disadvantage to a C-more mounted higher with above suggestions?

The Cmore has a huge optic compaired to the Trijicon or RMR, which is an advantage in Sport shooting, disadvantage in tactical shooting. Using a slide mounted optic is faster than standard sights, but a frame mounted optic coupled with a comp is faster still.

I have fired a slide mounted optic on a S&W M&P CORE, and a Glock with a frame mounted optic. The Glock was much faster.

Edited by Tuflehundon

I also build an open Glock and I want a side mount "sjc", for "Slide-ride". But since I live in Estonia (EU), SJC does not want to send mount to my country.

Try IGB Austria. They do a Glock mount similar to the SJC. It mounts on the front rail and has an extended pin through the trigger at the rear. They will send one to Estonia no problem. I have one and have had no problems with it.

http://www.igbaustria.com/

Have a look.

Try IGB Austria. They do a Glock mount similar to the SJC. It mounts on the front rail and has an extended pin through the trigger at the rear. They will send one to Estonia no problem. I have one and have had no problems with it.

Have a look.

This mount looks just awful! :)

I spent a lot of time and made my drawings, mounting similar to SJC.

Soon I will get the first sample which to me make on a CNC machine.

Now I have almost all the parts for the open Glock. And a very nice titanium compensator. It remains to obtain only mount...

Edited by Liske

I had an SJC and a Burris Fastfire and I switched to the Carver mount and a C-more slideride, and I love the weight and feel of the Carver mount and C-more combo. Also you don't have to drill a hole into your frame with the Carver. Yes, you have to get a CR Speed holster, but I already had one. And yes, you have to get your holster modified so it can accept your new Carver mount, but, Bobby can do that for you. All you have to do is send it to him and $20 and it's done. I also talked to him just this past weekend and he is a great guy to talk to. He would help you with anything you need.

I had an SJC and a Burris Fastfire and I switched to the Carver mount and a C-more slideride, and I love the weight and feel of the Carver mount and C-more combo. Also you don't have to drill a hole into your frame with the Carver. Yes, you have to get a CR Speed holster, but I already had one. And yes, you have to get your holster modified so it can accept your new Carver mount, but, Bobby can do that for you. All you have to do is send it to him and $20 and it's done. I also talked to him just this past weekend and he is a great guy to talk to. He would help you with anything you need.

Bobby is the one who recommended I use the SJC mount, since I already had the race holster that was not compatible with his mount. I'm still going to get everything from him, and have him do the build for me. Haven't talked to him in person, but have talked back and forth via email. Seems like a good guy.

Have a look.

This mount looks just awful! :)

I spent a lot of time and made my drawings, mounting similar to SJC.

Soon I will get the first sample which to me make on a CNC machine.

Now I have almost all the parts for the open Glock. And a very nice titanium compensator. It remains to obtain only mount...

I agree the IGB mount does not look pretty, neither do Glocks. However they WORK superbly just like Glocks !

Edited by malagamarksman

• 1 month later...

i have the carver mount with a full size c more. it feels great, really brings balance to the gun. dad done all the gunsmithing work for me so there was no need to send it away. if you do the holster correctly it will end up being a very secure fit.