Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!
StraightUp_OG

Home built CNC Mill - Gonna make a 1911

I have that info at home (at work right now) I will post back tonight but you should wait until I do the jig video. I will flat top the slide in that video as well and I may be able to get to that over the long weekend.

Edited by StraightUp_OG

If you can, get a manual pulse generator to move the mill around with when doing small movements. That is an electronic handwheel that you can move the mill around with just like a manual machine, one axis at a time. You can also use it to mill with if you have something you don't want to write a program for. It is much easier and more controllable than jogging.

I use this pendant with my X2 run by Mach3:

http://www.vistacnc.com/b08_pendant_P2/pendant_p2-S.htm

It's like a manual mill with a remote control :)

To the guys looking at benchtop mills, if I had it to do over, I would skip the DRO and convert it to CNC from day 1. If you spend money on a DRO, you'll have to rip all that out when you convert to CNC.

attachicon.gifP2s-v2-s.jpg

That won't work with LinuxCNC. Last year I was using a hack for a game controller but the hack was shit and earlier in the thread you will find where I bumped it and it took a chunk out of a slide.

This weekend I found a MUCH better way to program the game controller to act as a pendant and I will post a video later.

Linux here too, looking forward to hearing about a good way to use a game controller. I've been using a wireless keyboard. I set the jog speed and just use the arrow and page buttons to move things. Works ok, but a joystick would be nice.

Thank you and Merry Christmas to all!!!!!!

Nice video! Appreciate the walk through with the package manger.

I've got a usb game controller somewhere, when I find I'll give this a shot.

I'm running debian wheezy 2.6. I used pncconfig with mesa cards. There's a menu for setting up a usb joystick in the config program. Does stepconfig have that too and it didn't work so well? I need to find my controller and mess around with it. Thanks again!

I don't think that stepconf has joystick controller. The first time I tried something I found it on the LinuxCNC forums it was a huge PIA. I would post a link but this is SO MUCH easier I won't waist your time.

Really down and dirty video. Had a few technical difficulties but got it done. I fast forwarded most of the milling to shorten the vid. I was taking .005 per pass. I also negated to center the cutting tool on the y but still worked fine for the vid.

Good job OG! You don't need a bigger vise, just taller jaws. I would set the slide deeper in the jaws too. You want only enough of the slide sticking up to do what ever you're working on. Just extra insurance to keep the part from moving during machining.

You can make your own vise jaws 2,3,4 or even 6" tall for doing parts on end. On the tallest ones you can add a C clamp at the top for extra stability.

All you have to do is get some alum. or mild steel 3/4 or 1" thick the width of the vise and cut 2 pieces to the length (height) you want. Then square the saw cut ends in the mill and drill and counterbore 2 holes for the bolts, using the original jaws as a pattern. It is very beneficial to have special jaws for repeat jobs. These jaws may have steps cut in them to eliminate parallels, they may have a circle milled in them to hold round parts, they may have a special shape milled to hold an oddball part, etc. To mill the jaws, fix them to the vise as normal, then clamp a spacer between them that will stay below the cutting action, find the center of the gap and cut away. This is some of the cheapest and best mill fixturing around.

I normally set the parts deeper into the vise I was just playing cinematographer to show more of what is going on in the vid.

Never thought about making my own jaws! That is a great idea!

Edited by StraightUp_OG

Ok so at the extreme expensive of sounding stupid. Please tell me if there is an instruction book for the yavapi slide jig. Do you take the slide off and reverse it for the 45° cuts when tri topping and what are the angle cuts along the length of the jig on the flat side?

Awesome video OG!! when flat topping did you cut both ways or did you cut then back up drop the depth and cut again?

60's Corvette Coves and Stingray down the hood...great for cruising through stages B)

What are the dowels you are using against the slide. What are the advantages

Awesome video OG!! when flat topping did you cut both ways or did you cut then back up drop the depth and cut again?

I was cutting both directions.

Ok so at the extreme expensive of sounding stupid. Please tell me if there is an instruction book for the yavapi slide jig. Do you take the slide off and reverse it for the 45° cuts when tri topping and what are the angle cuts along the length of the jig on the flat side?

I do take off the slide and reverse it but I re-indicate the jig each time. I also had to make a few mods to the jig to use it with the barrel in the slide. This is what I did when I tri-topped my open gun so the comp and slide had the same cuts and was blended.

After messing with the jig a bunch I really think the angle table is a much better way to go. But the jig is perfect for JUST slides.

I don't know what the angle cuts are for on the jig but would love to know.

Edited by StraightUp_OG

I did just find this but it says not to reverse the slide due to the disconnector cut out

http://www.brownells.com/userdocs/learn/Inst-465.pdf

Also looking at something else it seems if a channel where cut along the flat side in line with the 45° angle on the opposing siding the jig would lock into the vise as designed for the other side. The angles are for the ejector port cuts. Turns out per the above instructions this jig was not intended for tri topping lol

Yeah I can see why but I did anyway LOL. I agree it is not the best for tri-topping but for flat-topping and keeping the slide from compressing in the vise (although I have yet to find that an issue) it works as designed.

I have all but ditched it since getting a face mill for the flat top and the angle table. May be the next vid should be tri-topping that slide with angle table setup?

Did you guys see the comp fitting video i posted? That was my yesterday.

Just finished your stuff Erick. No thread relief on the Schuemann along with the lug for the hybrid is a pain. I had to cut extra relief in the comp, and add a chamfer for the fillet at the base of the lug. And take just a touch off the front of the barrel, but it is sweet meow.

20141227_144655.jpg

Just finished your stuff Erick. No thread relief on the Schuemann along with the lug for the hybrid is a pain. I had to cut extra relief in the comp, and add a chamfer for the fillet at the base of the lug. And take just a touch off the front of the barrel, but it is sweet meow.

20141227_144655.jpg

Looks good sounds about like what we had to do to get it to fit my schuemann barrel, minus the work for the rib