Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Home built CNC Mill - Gonna make a 1911

StraightUp_OG

I just wanna buy a master series frame for SS and fit a slide, barrel, cut the frame back to standard length, and fit the trigger and etc then either if I had my own mill tri top the slide cut the Novak style cuts or maybe bombarded rear and do cocking serrations front and rear or send it out for that. But where do I learn all that? From the AGI vids or from the Jerry K books or what?

Sent you a PM.

ETA All the fitting info is in the Jerry K books. Get both of them and read them several times. Tons of good info here in the gunsmith section. Gonna be a fun, but lengthy learning process. The slide mill work, you've seen OG do it already. So the mill can do it.

Edited by kevinj308

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have to chime in here -- New to this forum, been reading for awhile -- This thread fits me perfectly

I've never touched a mill under power but I sure want one and you guys made me realize that CNC is a reality for me --

Great work here -- I've already got the John K 1st book coming from Midway, should be here by the end of the week

I've always tinkered with my 1911's but thats it "tinkered" -- Time to get serious

Luckily I have family out in PA, right near the Grizzly showroom -- I go out there regularly and will be sure to check out the Grizzly mill this month

As for G code -- I'm not sure what it all means, but I'm not scared

Thanks for the thread, Jer

Cool Heavy! That is the main reason for the thread, to inspire the unafraid! ;)

I look forward to your future work and be sure to post it here in the thread!

Intermediate project: since I am waiting on a few tools and parts for the planed limited build, I scraped enough parts together to do another commander but in 40. Got the frame and a bunch of parts on the classifieds here from a member (NOS Essex Arms), slide from Fusion and got the Bar-sto (Match Target) on their specials page for a song. Figure I will just make this one a clean basic shooter and move it to acquire some more PARTS! :goof:

Gonna leave the dust cover long and do a short ball cut on the slide but no cut looks kinda cool too. The slide and frame went together like they were made for each other no need to fit (A weird first).

comm40.jpg

I have no doubt it's over my head! But I do enjoy watching and reading along with this thread. I shoot them and pay my smith to build them & repair them, seems to work well for the both of us. lol

I wouldn't say that anyone is over there head if they have the drive to learn. I've taken a few machining courses and have a basic understanding of what needs to be done and how to operate things, but I'm by no means well versed. Some people have to fumble through things to learn. The AGI videos are great and they can help you, but you really need to pair up with someone who has been doing the work for a while so that you can ask questions and have feedback. Most local schools offer alacarte style classes for basic machining and cnc.

Like I said I shoot em, others build em. Lol. I'm with you, it just depends on the direction your desire drives up. With anything if it's worth having its worth the effort to that person. If you want it bad enough than you can get it. Good luck

Edited by a matt

I can't believe this really needs to be said in this thread but here you go. Please see the below from the forum. Play nice guys!

Please be polite. Or if not polite, at least respectful.

No bickering. Regardless of the subject matter.

Antagonistic, offensive, or quarrelsome tones are not acceptable.

I just wanna buy a master series frame for SS and fit a slide, barrel, cut the frame back to standard length, and fit the trigger and etc then either if I had my own mill tri top the slide cut the Novak style cuts or maybe bombarded rear and do cocking serrations front and rear or send it out for that. But where do I learn all that? From the AGI vids or from the Jerry K books or what?

Sent you a PM.

ETA All the fitting info is in the Jerry K books. Get both of them and read them several times. Tons of good info here in the gunsmith section. Gonna be a fun, but lengthy learning process. The slide mill work, you've seen OG do it already. So the mill can do it.

Thanks again

No problem, happy to help. I'm constantly amazed, impressed by the work OG is doing with that little mill. I had no idea it would handle that kind of work. For Christmas this year I'm getting a mill instead of the usual new gun. 2014 is gonna be fun!(and expensive lol)

Kevin

You do need ac 101 is a tad warm. Great looking man cave. Any space you can call yours is awesome.

When my wife and I bought the house 10 years ago we had an agreement. The house was hers and the garage was mine. Shes never asked about my garage since.

Edited by donnyglock

I hear ya. We bought this house exactly a year ago and I am lucky to have what's in the picture, LOL! She is still calling dibs and what you don't see is the hard top to her Jeep covered by the poncho so I didn't even get all of the 3rd car area. Silly girls ...

So now I am building 2 guns at the same time. My buddies brother was going to buy an off the shelf Kimber but my buddy told him that I would build him one. LOL If he was not one of my oldest and best friends I would have said no. But it gave me an opportunity to use that face mill to do the flat top. The video is crappy cell phone video. This was the first pass and I sped up the feed a little after this cut. Took .005 per pass to .375 width of the flat. It worked like a champ and I can do the sights and the french cut in one setup now!

The little mill that can!

flat1.jpg

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B3M5WEBRUk9KM19jTFh4OVp6OWs/edit?usp=sharing

Within a tighter budget which would be a better choice for a hobbyist to get a cnc mill set up the grizzly or little machine shop? This thread has really sparked my interest and now I need to start saving up.