Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Distance to port?

Graham Smith

One suggestion I have gotten for a stage design is to put a port at some distance from the shooting area. The idea is it would require the shooter to maneuver around a bit to be able to shoot all the targets.

Two things concern me. One is having the wall hit and the other is that we would have to be certain that the port was at such a height that vertically challenged individuals would be able to get a good sight line on the A zone.

Has anyone shot courses like this? If so, what do you think of the idea?

One suggestion I have gotten for a stage design is to put a port at some distance from the shooting area. The idea is it would require the shooter to maneuver around a bit to be able to shoot all the targets.

Two things concern me. One is having the wall hit and the other is that we would have to be certain that the port was at such a height that vertically challenged individuals would be able to get a good sight line on the A zone.

Has anyone shot courses like this? If so, what do you think of the idea?

Getting ready to run one this weekend...I plan to put no-shoots on both sides of the port to keep the bullets off the walls. Also using a wall that has a vertical opening...see attached...lower right of stage.

post-15700-0-16254700-1360005419_thumb.j

Make the port larger than you think it should normally be, 50% or so. being constrained to shoot thru it will make it seem a lot smaller. Framing the opening with no shoots will help but ultimately expect that all props downrange of the muzzle are a consumable.

I have shot stages like this several times, normally with several ports and enough targets that you end up racking your brain trying to remember if you shot that target already or not. they can work pretty well you just need to make sure the highest port is low enough for the most vertically challenged shooter (yes the less vertically challenged may need to crouch) and yes the walls will get hit just make sure you tape any holes so you know when someone shoots through the wall so you don't score a hit on the target that went through the wall. you can also make the ports with gaps between walls so the vertical is no longer part of the challenge.

Mike

• 4 weeks later...

We setup stages like this from time to time locally. Its a fun shooting challenge. We have attacked this in three different ways.

The first is to use an "expendable" wall and simply call the wall soft cover. The expendable wall is usually a sheet of cheap plywood with a port cut into it. That way if it gets shot up, who cares and it does not make scoring the targets a nightmare. Realistically this is the only way to do it if you have steel that is to be engaged through the port to eliminate the range failure/reshoot situation. Keep in mind that rule 4.1.4.2 applies so all paper targets have to be fully open (No No Shoots or Hard cover) for it to be legal.

The Second option is to use No shoots on the sides of the port to make it "Hit Factor Painful" for the shooter if they do shoot through the wall. Its usually best to extend the no shoot a couple of inches past the edge of the port so if they do clip the edge of the no shoot it does not damage the wall. Obviously if someone is way off and hits deep into the no shoot it will impact the wall. For local matches this is usually how we set this scenario up. Its amazing how well people keep from shooting up the wall/port when there is a no shoot on the edge of the port. Take the no shoots off and they will shoot up the wall/port in no time.

The Third option is to use hard cover steel as the sides of the port. This is more difficult because getting long pieces of steel to serve as sides of a port is expensive and heavy. You also have to content with the minimum distance to steel rule (no closer than 23 feet) when using it as hard cover. So if you don't have a really deep bay to work with this can be very limiting in target layout beyond the port.