Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Help Me Design A Reloading Closet

Trvlngnrs

I'm going to be purchasing a Dillon 550B. This will be my first reloading press. Instead of reinventing the wheel I figured I'd ask more experienced reloaders for advice on a reloading bench setup. I have enclosed photos of my 3 car garage, which holds 3 vehicles, so I can't take a bay. Currently I have my workbench in the space between the two car portion and the one car portion. Initially I was going to bolt the 550B to my workbench. Drawbacks to this is that everything will be visible when I have the garage doors up (often, as I live in the desert), dust/dirt from being in the garage, loss of workbench space and collateral damage to equipment while working on other projects.

Along the wall is a row of storage shelves and a closet which is hiding rakes, shovels, brooms, etc now. I was thinking of building a small dedicated reloading bench in the closet and adding shelves to the back wall. The closet's interior dimensions are 36" wide, 24" deep and 93" high. Advantages: everything in one spot, can keep door closed/locked, don't have to put everything away between sessions, cleaner, more protected. Disadvantages: more cramped, although I can put the tumbler on the workbench when in use.

Do you guys think a table 36" wide x 24" deep is doable?

I'm right handed, should the press (when I get it) go in the middle or to one side?

Any other thoughts at this point? Again, this is all new to me, so I'm open to suggestions.

Thanks for your help!

Trvlngnrs

post-24839-0-82805100-1359828021_thumb.j

post-24839-0-76621000-1359828041_thumb.j

Edited by Trvlngnrs

My bench is about 32" wide by 28" deep, it works for me. 3 shelves under it for my components and parts (not for powder and primers...)

(Yes a larger area would be nice, however limited area right now til I build a garage... :unsure: )

• 2 months later...

My 550 just arrived, here is my setup so far. I made the bench out of oak plywood with lots of 2X4 bracing underneath. Used a low gloss polyurethane finish on top. Doesn't flex at all. I haven't mounted the press yet, still trying out different locations. I may just clamp it down for a few test loads before mounting.

I added storage to the sides of the workbench area to hold skinny things I'll be using alot, like the primer tubes, flip tray, case guages, etc.

post-24839-0-56368100-1366080832_thumb.j

post-24839-0-09073800-1366081023_thumb.j

post-24839-0-96683400-1366081767_thumb.j

Edited by Trvlngnrs

I might move the press just a bit more to your left, to allow better access to stuff on that side, and to avoid banging your elbow into the doorframe (or does the door swing back farther on the right, over the middle door?).

One trick to making maximum use of limited space is to make things "modular". Get a piece of 3/4" plywood and some short bolts and nuts and bolt the press to that. You can bolt the plywood to the bench when using the press and remove it and stow the press underneath or overhead and use the space for other things.

• 1 month later...