Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which is Harder - Overcoming Gobbling or Making GM?

Esther

You might want to just run the CZ for a while (in single-action mode) if you're comfortable with it. XD's are great guns, but you will have a hard time finding another pistol with ergonomics as good as a CZ. I'm really liking the Safariland "Custom Fit" holster I got for mine; you can order one through Dillon for about $45.00.

Keep an open mind and try as many different guns as you can. If you really wanted to go "old school" with a 9mm, you could get a Browning Hi-Power-Carol had one of those for a while, and she loved it!

Take care-talk to you later.

• Replies 390
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's interesting what some people call "good ergonomics". I personally think the CZ is atrocious; the slide is too low profile to rack smoothly, the butt of the grip comes down too far and I pinch my hand during reloads, among other things. I tried a number of Production guns till I found what I really liked. I finally settled on an XDM 5.25 mostly because the grip angle matched that of my Open/LTD guns, the mag release was easier to reach, and the interchangeable backstrap made it very user friendly to me. That and it didn't weigh a ton either. I prefer a really light gun. So to each his (or her) own I suppose! :rolleyes:

As BritinUSA said starting anything new that is complicated can be overwhelming. (PM me and I will tell you how some of my schooling felt...)

When I bring first time shooters to a match I tell them that shooting safe and accurate is the goal. I also tell them that if they make all of thier shots they will not finish last (havn't been wrong yet).

(It sounds like you have the accuracy down! Speed comes with time. :bow: )

(Holster- Blackhawk makes sportster holsters for many guns that cost about $20.00 at Walmart, maybe for CZ also, not sure. Difference is it doesn't have the locking device like the Serpa.)

Dry fire is the most economical practice, 22 the second most economical, reloading 3rd.

BritinUSA - That's helpful to hear, thanks! I know you're right. :)

Jon - I took out the 1911 spacers, and my CZ mags wobble without any spacers but don't fit with the smaller spacers. I think you're right that getting a CZ specific or generic holster (I'll probably go with CZ) as I'm deciding on a competition gun is a good idea.

Tim - I may do that, thanks!

Chris - That's funny how different people have different ideas of what constitutes "good ergonomics." (Kind of like how different people have different notions of what is "obviously stupid and/or false." I was with a friend the other day, and she said she didn't see how any reasonable person could oppose the Assault Weapons Ban, and I said, "Really? I oppose the AWB.")

The XDM is on my short list of Production gun choices. I really like it, but it is a pain in the butt to get in California (you have to buy it used or from someone who will do a single shot exemption for you).

GuildSF4 - Will do. And thanks!

Edited by Esther

Jon - I took out the 1911 spacers, and my CZ mags wobble without any spacers but don't fit with the smaller spacers. I think you're right that getting a CZ specific or generic holster (I'll probably go with CZ) as I'm deciding on a competition gun is a good idea.

I'm pretty sure we can fix that.... Did you try adjusting the silver tension knob/screw?

I'll email you a little later so as not to clutter your diary.

nice meeting you this weekend esther - you had really good hits which is great to see.

When I first started out, I got a membership at Jackson Arms - as of right now, the only indoor range that will let you do things like rapid fire without spending $1000's + weekends on their classes. Its $400 for the year, but you can literally go daily and make that up. Just watch out for your lead levels when you shoot indoors that much. Its a great way to get trigger time in and learn alot of the fundamentals, in addition to shooting matches/practices on the weekends.

digby7 - Thanks for the recommendation! It annoys me too when indoor ranges make you pay $k for classes in order to draw and rapid-fire.

Today was a frustrating day of shooting. I went to the range with the sole purpose of figuring out recoil management. My grip tends to slip in between shots (my hands aren't sweaty, the gun isn't slippery). My support hand keeps wanting to rotate forward until it's barely gripping the gun.

This is a big limiting factor in my shooting. I need to be able to fire x shots without my grip changing at all.

I don't think it's a problem with my technique. I'm gripping the gun high up, with both wrists meeting and my support hand canted downward. I've tried variations in technique, but they haven't helped.

Is this most likely a grip strength issue?

Edited by Esther

I'd be curious to see what your grip looks like. Not sure I understand what you mean when you say your wrists meet? Where are your thumbs in relation to one another when you grip the gun. Does the heel of your weak hand touch the weak side grip of the gun? Could be weak hand grip strength I suppose...

Edited by caspian guy

it may be grip strength - get some of these:

http://www.ironmind.com/ironmind/opencms/Main/captainsofcrush.html

and this:

http://www.cedhk.com/shop/categories/Shooting-Products/FAST-GRIP-by-Eric-Grauffel/

I'm closing the #2 now when I remember to use it - that combined with the fast grip and my gun feels like its locked in my hand. You want to use a 80/20|70/30 in terms of grip pressure for weak/strong hand - the stronger your grip, the more solidly you hold your gun and 70% of your grip after training might equate to 150% of your grip before training - this allows you to control the recoil without disturbing your sight picture without death gripping the gun(sight picture shakes like crazy) or affecting your trigger pull.

better grips are good too - vz makes some good ones for the CZ

My grip tends to slip in between shots (my hands aren't sweaty, the gun isn't slippery). My support hand keeps wanting to rotate forward until it's barely gripping the gun.

When this happens for me, it's usually because the meaty part of my support hand palm just below the thumb is slipping off of the grip. This could be an anatomic issue (you may not have meaty palms), grip strength issue or a grip fitment/texture issue.

I'd be curious to see what your grip looks like. ...

What type of grips do you have on your CZ? If you are losing your grip then it may be that the overall width is to large. There are thin grips availabe that may help or apply grip tape.

As I recall, your CZ is wearing a set of grips (factory?) with an integrated laser pointer. What I don't recall is whether they wrapped around the front strap, where that laser diode and activator switch is located and if it interferes with your grip or not. We'll take a closer look next time.

On BritinUSA's suggestions:

1. grip tape - I've got a whole sheet and you're welcome to all you need
  2. new grip panels that have a reasonably grippy texture and are likely slimmer than your factory grips

Grip tape is free (until I run out), adds great texture and minimal thickness. Grip panels are not terribly expensive, but they ain't free either and they don't do anything for the front strap. Maybe a combination of the two will work for you: grip tape for the front strap and grip panels? (My SS guns are setup this way.)

If you don't want to pop for new grip panels, you might consider sanding down your current grips and then hitting them with grip tape. Of course this depends on how attached you are to your current grips because this is a one-way ticket modification. Again, we'll take a look at them next time to evaluate the possibilities.

caspian guy - I may have misdescribed my grip. My thumbs are sitting on top of each other facing forward with the second knuckle of my strong hand thumb sitting approximately above the first knuckle of my support hand thumb.

BritinUSA - I have the regular grips that came with the CZ.

digby7 - Thanks so much! I think that's right - I need to have a much greater maximum grip strength so that I can use a relatively relaxed grip and still handle the gun.

Aglifter - My shoulders aren't doing anything special; they're helping to hold the gun out but are otherwise pretty relaxed.

Jon - Thanks! And could you please spot my recoil management next time?

Edited by Esther

Ok, my 2 cents worth. It's just mechanical, the skills that allow you to perform well in practical shooting. Most shooters are not strong enough, fast enough, devoted enough and tough enough to attain goals. I'm one of them. Therefore I limit my goals to learning and performing skill and let that fall where it may when competing.

Athletes? Well, depends on your definition. Is a sumo wrestler an athlete/ If so then I may be, although at a low level physically. I'm fat, old, injured and damaged, but pretty strong and very agile considering my size. I focus very well for short periods of time and can process minute levels of information very fast for those short periods of time. I have great/exceptional hand eye coordination. I'm not sure what that makes me. I'm also very confident! :-) Others that have done well in this sport have some of those attributes, but not all of them and they have others I do not.

As to what it takes to make GM, that's just a numbers game and you can see the classifier scores that will get you that badge. Now, the skills to get that are what takes the effort. I have no idea if you have the stuff to do that, no one could. That you want to and are going to try is of utmost importance and the first step.

Just do not put too much stock in whether or not you make the grade. That's not important. Keep learning and improving and the class you reach will be less important than the gains you make while trying.

I don't know how to make you a GM, I do know you can find the road towards that goal very entertaining and fulfilling, regardless of whether you reach that GM destination.

Life's a garden, dig it!

One time when I was feeling discouraged after a gobble, I told my close friend who had been one of my tutoring students that I am sorry this is so hard for me. She replied, "You silly goose! What would say if I said, 'I'm sorry that calculus is so hard for me?' You would be totally amazing and say, 'Don't apologize. It's understandable. You can do this!"

She's right.

Last night was a mega gobble, and I am tempted to beat myself up for taking SO long to master a skill that most people do as a matter of course.

(But sometimes I forget that other things come naturally to me that other people have to work hard for.)

So I am not going to apologize. I am doing my best, I am going to beat this, and you all are helping me. (Thank you!!!! :lol: )

Also, I am trying a different way of keeping track of non-gobbly days. I am trying to set positive goals and give myself a way of distinguishing between six cookies late at night and four pounds of chocolate. From now on, I get to put $5 in my jar if a day is 90% alphas (non-gobble foods) by volume.*

* I realize 10% gobble foods by volume is >10% in calories. Don't feel like you need to point it out. ;)

Edited by Esther

caspian guy - I may have misdescribed my grip. My thumbs are sitting on top of each other facing forward with the second knuckle of my strong hand thumb sitting approximately above the first knuckle of my support hand thumb.

BritinUSA - I have the regular grips that came with the CZ.

digby7 - Thanks so much! I think that's right - I need to have a much greater maximum grip strength so that I can use a relatively relaxed grip and still handle the gun.

Aglifter - My shoulders aren't doing anything special; they're helping to hold the gun out but are otherwise pretty relaxed.

Jon - Thanks! And could you please spot my recoil management next time?

Gotcha that makes more sense.

Rob - "Life's a garden, dig it!" Love. :D Thanks for the tip. I know you're right that it's in the struggle and not the success that the real gain (and fun) appears.

Tonight's thankful items:

2) Rob Leatham giving me advice on recoil management and posting in my range journal! Omg!

3) having a good range session and making progress on my recoil control. I followed Rob's and others' advice and clamped down on the gun as tight as I could. I don't know if I was squeezing 70/30 or 60/40; I was just holding on really hard. I noticed an immediate difference: the sights weren't lifting as high or taking as long to settle. I also noticed something that Bo's pointed out before: that when I grip harder, I can get away with a less precise trigger pull and still make A zone hits.

By the end, I was shooting my first shot in .83-.93 sec (from low ready, since I can't draw from holster) and splitting about .53-.61 between shots. Not where I want to be yet, but definitely a big improvement from what I was shooting before!

In total, I shot 150 rounds from 7-10 yards, all rapid-fire.

I need to be a lot stronger and grip a lot harder during dry-fire.

4) Chris (grapemeister) sending me a really nice email about how he got into practical shooting and what he loves about it. He wrote: "I knew that the game would change my life, or I would have to change my life in order to participate and be successful at [it]."

I do a lot of imaginery shooting. Becareful when you're in a elevator by yourself. It's so tempting to do imaginery draws and shooting position entries. One time I lost track of time, the elevator doors opened and I double tapped a poor lady standing outside waiting for the elevator. But, they were two good lower A zone hits!

Bathrooms are great too, but be careful with the sound affects. You never know if there might be someone in there with you a few stalls down. Tap-Tap, ching, ching. Reload, tap-tap, tap-tap.

Ben and Chris - Thanks for the suggestions!

Here, Steve Anderson talks about imagining what MoreGooderBetter version of him would do to get down, REALLY down, and then emulating that person.

How would MoreGooderBetter Esther react after a gobble?

My first thought is, MoreGooderBetter Esther doesn't gobble. (She's also confident and pretty and all the things I imagine I'm not.)

That's outside the constraints. Try again.

I don't know. I guess she would do what I am trying to do right now, which is be honest and compassionate and accepting of myself.

And be the kind of role model to herself that I want of someone who isn't perfect, isn't a "natural," but does great things anyway.

[edit]

Yesterday's thankful items:

3) Cullen and Steve Anderson looking out for me

6) having a really funny (but serious) conversation with Max about the lessons I've learned in the short time I've kept a shooting diary (e.g., short paragraphs, frequent posts, linking to and acknowledging other people's contributions). It's really interesting; I feel like I'm learning a lot about business and building an audience. Max said I'm learning the lessons in Dale Carnegie's classic How to Win Friends and Influence People. (Then he added, "Except it actually works for you, because you need to be genuinely interested in and not just pretend to be interested in people. I can't do it, but you do it naturally." :-))

He also said I could have a niche as a popular shooting blogger because I am "smart, a good writer, genuinely interested in other people, female, and pretty." :-)

And then we laughed at the prospect of people asking what his wife does, and Max responding, "She's a writer and a shooter." "Oh, what does she write about?" "Mostly shooting." :-| :-) !

Edited by Flexmoney
edit by request

Shooting-related thankful items from yesterday:

2) talking to Steve about shooting and life. He has an idea about the (main) reason my splits are so slow. I can't wait to get back to the range and try it.

From today:

2) practicing transitions in Max's tiny apartment with an XDM blue gun

Does anyone have suggestions for a S&W m&p holster that is Production-legal? I want to practice first shots from draw in live fire using my .22 pistol to save cents.

Thanks!

Does anyone have suggestions for a S&W m&p holster that is Production-legal? I want to practice first shots from draw in live fire using my .22 pistol to save cents.

Thanks!

E-

Any "standard" type holster that covers the trigger guard and the slide to witin an inch (?) of the ejection port and retains the gun securely will do. It is the position of the holster mounted on the belt that really counts when using one for Production.

Edited by lumpygravy