Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

General Training for IDPA

jmtyndall

I've started a physical fitness schedule to train for IDPA. Just want to see if there's anything I should add to it. For now, I've been working on shoulder and arm strength. I know I need something for grip and wrists, but I'm not sure what exercises I should be doing to target those areas. Also, not doing much for legs, except running. Doing 3 sets of 12 on the weight exercises. So here's what I have:

Run 1 mile

Lat Pulls

Military Press

Seated Row

Pec Fly

Rear Deltoids

Incline Press

Tricepts

Crunches

Leg Lifts

Cross-Crunches

Let me know if there's anything I should add or cut, and what I can do about the wrists, and grip.

Thanks, Josh.

A friend of mine has a set of rock rings that I've worked out on a few times and they seem like they do pretty well for my grip strength. A lot of the grip strength training for rock climbing looks like it'd be what you're looking for. Functional Hand Strength has what looks to be a pretty good write up on the matter.

If you have a gym with a climbing wall that would probably work too.

Captains Of Crush grip trainers from IronMind. Don't over do it these things are fierce! It's also a very very good idea to get the extend your hand bands too.

For the record here's my training regimen...

0530 - Get up to work out

0531 - Decide to do it tomorrow, smash alarm clock, go back to sleep

0800 - Actually get up

0815 - Make health shake to drink for breakfast

0816 - spit out disgusting horrible health shake

0817 - Eggs

0818 - More eggs, some bacon... oh what the hell more bacon.

0830 - Realize I have a terrible lack of discipline. Resolve to take things more seriously tomorrow and get up at 0530 to work out!

Tomorrow.... 0530....

Repeat

sigh maybe I should just wait until I get bitten by a radioactive spider.

• 4 weeks later...

Captains Of Crush grip trainers from IronMind. Don't over do it these things are fierce! It's also a very very good idea to get the extend your hand bands too.

For the record here's my training regimen...

0530 - Get up to work out

0531 - Decide to do it tomorrow, smash alarm clock, go back to sleep

0800 - Actually get up

0815 - Make health shake to drink for breakfast

0816 - spit out disgusting horrible health shake

0817 - Eggs

0818 - More eggs, some bacon... oh what the hell more bacon.

0830 - Realize I have a terrible lack of discipline. Resolve to take things more seriously tomorrow and get up at 0530 to work out!

Tomorrow.... 0530....

Repeat

sigh maybe I should just wait until I get bitten by a radioactive spider.

That seems pretty close to mine.

• 4 months later...

I know this is an old topic, but I thought I would add a drill that I do to condition myself for action pistol. I'm trying to get ready for the IDPA Nationals in September and I want to be better conditioned for local and sectional USPSA Matches.

I start out on a treadmill at a brisk walk for 5 minutes. Then at minute 6 I crank it up to 6 mph and jog one minute. At 7:00, I back it down and walk a minute or two. The next interval of running will be at 7 mph, where I'll run for a minute and walk for two at 4.2 mph to bring my heart rate back down. I increase the running speed by .5 mph at each interval, so before the 30 minute treadmill session is over I'm doing 30 second 10 mph semi-sprints. It's Interval Training on the treadmill.

When I'm done I move to the basketball court and do 6 sets of strength and agility drills, starting with a seated jump drill and going immediately into the "X" drill. (See attachment)

Seated at the end of the bench, or chair with both hands on knees, explode up, jumping as high as you can.

Immediately sit and repeat for 10-12 reps

Move to the foul lane, standing at the baseline centered and facing "downrange". All movements should be explosive and stop at each turning point, so the next movement is also from a static position.

Explode to the right BLOCK, then left to the alternate side, then diagonally back to the right lower corner, now across to the left corner.

Sprint up the left side to the foul line, stop, explode to the right side of the foul line, now back peddle across the baseline.

Immediately reverse direction and repeat.

So, after treadmill interval training:

10 seated jumps

X drill starting right

X drill going left

repeat six times.

Now, go lift.

Hope this helps

post-43628-0-22418100-1373662756_thumb.j

Edited by Wayne45

Squats.

+1 on this. Squats are the best full-body exercise out there. I see the original poster mentioning all kinds of silly isolation exercises. Squat, deadlift, bench, and overhead press.

There are several good threads on here about grip training; perhaps start with this one.

• 2 months later...

Squats.

+1 on this. Squats are the best full-body exercise out there. I see the original poster mentioning all kinds of silly isolation exercises. Squat, deadlift, bench, and overhead press.

There are several good threads on here about grip training; perhaps start with this one.

This... All of this and some more of this when you're done with this.

• 2 months later...