Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How do you know how much brass to put into a tumbler

ProGunGuy

I use dillons and I put about 500 in the 750 tumbler. About 800 to a thousand in the 1000 tumbler. You can use more if the media isn't too coarse and the cases have case lube on them. If they are dry or the media is coarse back off and tumble less to avoid scratching the cases.

Most websites from the tumbler makers show a recomended ammount to tumble but it's often by volume not by round count. ie 2 quarts of brass vs 1000 pcs of brass.

In my 750 I fill with media up to 2" below the rim. Then pour in brass a little at a time. I probably am at about 400 9mm's at a time using this method. With my 750 I know there is too much brass in it when it bottoms out and starts to undulate!

With your tumbler empty fill it half to two thirds full with brass. Then fill it the rest of the way with media. Put on the lid and turn it on. The media will vibrate to the bottom and fill the cases in a couple of minutes which will make room for things to get moving around and doing its magic. After that you may want to add some more media.

Edited by leas327

No idea...I dump brass in the empty tumbler until it's about half full. I then dump enough media in to almost fill it to the top (probably 2" of space), and then I throw in more brass and fill it up. Turn it on, come back a few hours later and all is well!

I would think it would depend on what tumbler you have. Check youtube for examples. My Cabela's 400 (Similar to Berry's) recommends filling the tumbler to about 2/3 full with media, then add maximum 1000 rounds of 9mm.

I put in two glass fulls of cases in. I have a set amount of media that I use. Every time I separate the two my lower bucket holds the media. Through trial and error I found that two 16 oz glasses of cases added to the media gives me good movement within the tumbler. Less than two gives me the same movement. More than two starts to slow things down pretty quick.