Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New AR

texasag93

OK, I finally broke down and ordered a brand new AR15. I got a DPMS Panther Classic 20" THREADED BARREL :D w/ flash suppressor , detachable front and rear sights, and four picatinny rail gas block. I have a free float tube already for it. I also ordered two 20 and 30rd. mags. I hope in the end this is what I will like. All the other goodies will come in time when I figure out what I want. Any comments on this being a beginning for a 3gun rifle or anything to change? It will be ordered tomorrow afternoon, 4-6 weeks delivery(or what DPMS as said). :P:lol: TXAG

You need to buy at least a dozen or two mags. They swell, crack, and wear out. Oddly, a mere 10 years ago, mags were actually -gasp! - disposable. Once they quit working you tossed them and bought new ones. What were we thinking?!

You might as well put the JP trigger on order now. You're going to buy it anyway. DPMS needs to clue in and start offering the silly things as a factory option. Get the full meal deal: trigger, speed hammer, and oversize pins. You can thank me later. ;)

When I was buying my first AR I read up on alot of information and got feedback from alot of people that I did not need a comp. Well last year I shot in the Texas State 3-Gun ( as my first 3-gun match) and I can tell you I bought one of Benny's Comps the next week. When you are shooting at a moving target at 100 yards you need all the stability you can get. The comp and JP trigger were the best things I added to my AR.

The comp is one of the goodies that will be ordered soon. I didn't want to get just any one so I just got the standard flash suppressor (just because I could). With the threeaded barrel it will be easy to switch. Trigger will be another eventually. I bought the AR because I could get a "pre-ban" configuration. I wanted a flat top so that it would be as versatile as possible. I don't plan on getting into 3 gun until some time next year after hunting season. I have a new 1100 to get ready also. :P TXAG

Most (read: those that plink and many at arfcom) don't have any idea what a compensator is for. They think its sole purpose is to reduce recoil and keep the gun from kicking. Thus the moniker "girly man" is passed around when the subject of a compensator on an AR in .223 is brought up. Little do they realize that while they're trying to get the sights to settle down for a follow up shot, the guy with the comp has already fired 3 more shots because the sights barely went anywhere.

Same thing with a comped .22 pistol. A regular one doesn't move much, but a comped one doesn't move at all.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...