Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Johnson 3-Gun at Rocky Mountain 2013

We are happy to announce: Johnson 3-Gun at Rocky Mountain - Get ready for the Season - Skills Match! March 16, 2013 at the NRA Whittington Center

http://home.earthlink.net/~johnson3gun/

This match is planned to be all skills. Lot's of shorter stages, mostly in berms, just to warm up for the season.

Drawing, loading, target aquisition...we will have rifle out to 300 yards or so!

Sign-ups start at about 8:30, Shooter's briefing a bit before 9:30.

We meet in the pistol berm area!

We are also having a more typical match just 2 weeks later with our RO clinic!

Saturday, March 30 will be the clinic with a little shooting, and Sunday, March 31 will be a Johnson 3-Gun match with 4 or 5 stages mostly natural terrain.

Come join us at Whittington!

Any cancellations for weather will be posted on the website!

Denise

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just sent this out on our e-mail list today!

Just a reminder, when you're not writing your Senators...

Next Saturday(not this one), March 16, we will be holding a skills, shake off the cobwebs match at the NRA Whittington Center in Raton, NM.

Sign-up will start at 0830. $30. We plan to be shooting by 0930. Meet at the pistol berms. You can get directions at the gate when you sign in!

I would love it if you'd let me know you plan to come, because I have special score sheets for this one and would like to be sure I have run off enough!

Thanks and hope to see you then,

Denise and JJ

Also, the RO clinic listed in the post above is the weekend of Easter! It's the only time available for this.

It's the weekend AFTER Superstition and will be a more typical match on Sunday with run and gun Natural Terrain stages.

Saturday - will be the clinic. Classroom in the morning, out on the range in the afternoon! We'll be doing some shooting on Saturday and then all shooting on Sunday!

• 2 weeks later...

JJ had a good day with help from Tom, George, Ken and John!!

The stages are pretty much ready for you all in the morning!

Skills - 16 down and dirty stages! Remember your rifle dope, make sure your pistol shoots as fast and as far as last year, can you load that shotgun still? Where are those slugs going?? Should get you most of the info you need for your 3-Gun season and dust off the cobwebs without eating up 100's of rounds!!!

:goof:

See you in the morning! Newbie meeting...9am-ish. Will try to be shooting by 9:30 or so!

Meet us at the pistol berms!!!

Denise

Turned out to be a great day!

Seems like the match worked well for knocking down the cobwebs...and I had a LOT of cobwebs!

Hope everyone had a good time!

Next match, March 31 (that's 2 weeks) on Easter Sunday!!!!! RO clinic the day before, March 30, Saturday!

What is Easter doing in March????? :angry2:

Anyway, thanks to everyone who helped tear down, run shooters and all!

Denise

• 2 weeks later...

RO Clinic starts at 0900 tomorrow in the Ajax Classroom across from the West RV park. (Same driveway as the High Power Silhouette Range.)

The match for this weekend looks fun! Lot's of natural terrain and running and gunning!

Sorry it's on Easter! :blush: March 31, Who Knew??? Match registration starts at 0830 on Sunday. We plan to be out shooting by 0930.

We meet for the match right in the pistol berms!

We were going to have an egg shoot for Easter, but there are quite a few Cougars around out here, and leaving eggs on the ground would be a no-no! :surprise:

Tonight, we came back to the cabin and there were 16 mule deer and about 8-10 turkeys just hanging around. Cars didn't even scare them!

See some of you tomorrow and Sunday!!!

Denise

Great Weekend of shooting! The weather was really good to us!

Got a number of new RO's in training, and got a lot of shooting done!

It was a Happy Easter!!!

Next 3-Gun match in Raton is Saturday, April 20.

Should be some more run and gun!

Denise

P.S. The turkeys I was talking about in the previous post were indeed birds, not humans! :surprise:

• 2 weeks later...

Saturday, April 20, 2013 - NRA Whittington Center

We've got a crazy run and gun 3-Gun stage and a run and gun pistol/rifle and at least two others...including an all shotgun!!

You will need a rifle sling this time! We will be practicing slinging as well as shooting while slinging!

Registration starts at 0830 at the pistol berms!

Newbie briefing at 0900.

We'll try to be shooting by 0930!

Bring 150 of each rifle, pistol, 100 birdshot and 10 or so slugs and you should have plenty to take home...unless... :devil:

See you there! Last practice before Nationals! :surprise:

Denise

Some people are worrying about the weather.

Thought Raton pass was closed early this morning, it's open now and it looks like it's supposed to be in the 60's this weekend with less than 10% chance of showers.

JJ and I will be setting up tomorrow, so if there's any last minute changes, we'll let you know, but the match is a GO!

Denise

We know a lot of you were out at other matches, like Texas, but it turned out to be a pretty good day!

JJ and I may have gone a bit overboard on lengths of stages, but we had a lot of new shooters that shot 'em all!

Thanks to everyone for coming down, or up, or whatever.

We appreciate all the hard work from everybody, but a special thanks goes out to John Beazley and Mike Payne for being squad leaders and taking care of all the new shooters that came to shoot with us today!

We had two new ladies, one a Junior, which was great to see!!! Michelle and Lynea! :bow:

Couple of nice dogs came out to be with us, too!

Hope everyone had fun, and we look forward to seeing you on Sunday, June 2 for our next match. We will be trying some things out for He-Man Nationals, so... :devil:

Thanks to all of you for being safe! I think it was a pretty good day!.

Denise and JJ

It was a grand day. 4 big stages, 2 of which were rocky mountain-ish. Rifle targets out to 400, pistol targets out to 35 (large gong), and a devilish twist on the shotgun stage. I have a special thanks to Casanova. The charge handle broke off my shotgun and I had to double up with someone. Bob, from my squad, had one of James' old SLP's which was set up for load 2. It worked great, and I hardly missed a beat. Anyway, the Johnson's outdid themselves on this month's club match. I hope they are all like that.

• 3 weeks later...

Just another reminder:

Next "Local" match is Sunday, June 2.

Newbie briefing at 0830 at the pistol berms.

Shooter's briefing starts at about 0900.

Right now the plan is to have 4 stages in the natural terrain...kind of a sneak peak for He-Man 3-Gun National Championship!

You will need a rifle sling again this time!

$30

Hope to see you there!

Denise

• 2 weeks later...

Next Sunday, June 2 - 3-Gun at NRA Whittington Center in Raton, NM.

We've got 4 stages planned all in Natural terrain: Crazy Shotgun stage, :devil: run and gun 3-Gun with long rifle, rifle/pistol and rifle/shotgun.

You will need a rifle sling and some slugs...as well as the usual ammo!

We're thinking of meeting at the Small Bore Silhouette Range...but check with the gate house to be sure! Newbie briefing at 0830, Shooter's brief starts 0900. We hope to be shooting by 0930.

$30

See you there!

Denise

If it's too far a drive for a one day match, think about coming down Saturday, shooting some kind of birds...they have Sporting Clays, Skeet, Trap and 5-Stand OR sight in on the 1000 yard range, or practice or hike around looking for snakes! :surprise: They have great campgrounds and...well, make it a weekend!

Thanks for the kind words and to all of you who came out and were so enthusiastic about shooting in the wind and sandstorms! :surprise:

Hope all of you had a good time!

We had a LOT of newbies, who worked hard and had some fun throwing rounds down range!

Appreciate all of you who worked the clock and board! Things went pretty smooth!

Congratulations to our winners:

JJ Johnson - He-Man Iron (4 HI this time. I think they were practicing for He-Man)

Michael Atha - He-Man Scope

Carr Vincent - Limited Iron (small group, but first time shooter)

Orin Atha - Limited Scope

Craig Calkins - Open

Thanks again,

Denise

Edited by Benelli Chick

What a terrific match yesterday! The Johnson's are getting pumped for HeMan Nats and it showed in the epic sized stages they put togeher. The shotgun stage was especially fun and so was the running rifle/pistol stage. Natural terrain stages in the rugged, mountainous northern New Mexico landscape provides endless opportunities for JJ to be creative. Thanks again Johnsons for all your hard work, just to give a handfull of us some place to go play on the weekend. You guys are the best!

• 2 months later...

Just a little early reminder...we have a match on Sept 14, NRA Whittington Center, Raton, NM.

We're going to meet in YHEC which is that road to the east of the Founder's cabins. We'll be shooting all 4 stages out on YHEC this month!

For those of you who were at JP Rocky Mountain, you'll get a chance at stage 4 again. For those who weren't, it will be your first shot at it! Shot...get it? :roflol:

Directions will be at the gate. Newbie briefing at 0830. Shooter's briefing at 0900. We want to be shooting by no later than 0930.

$30 - 1 3-Gun stage, 1 long rifle, 1 rifle/pistol, 1 shotgun/pistol - is the plan.

See you there,

Denise

• 3 weeks later...

Looks like it's going to be in the 70's this weekend in Raton! Phew!!!

Remember, newbie briefing 0830, Shooter's Briefing 0900 out on YHEC! There will be a map at the gate!

$30 - 4 stages, including stage for from JP RM3G! We'll also have a long rifle, rifle/pistol and a pistol/shotgun.

See you there! :goof:

Denise

Forgot to tell you, JD of Gunslinger 2, says he'll be serving breakfast and lunch this weekend at 1000 yd range. They will also be serving dinner in Shotgun Sept 12-14.

Edited by Benelli Chick

So, we need some input from you all!

I am at Whittington and drove all the way out to all the stages on YHEC in 2 wheel drive. It's muddy, but not as bad as He-Man out by stage 4. I drove up the valleys to put backers on etc.

It is now raining again, but not too bad. The forecast calls for a turn around, though still scattered showers. Saturday is supposed to be a nice day. A half hour ago, the weather was perfect for 3-Gun. Cool, overcast, I could see all the targets.

That being said, if all of you are going to have to spend the weekend dealing with floods, flooding and all sorts of other disasters elsewhere and aren't going to come join us...well, I admit it, I don't want to finish setting up for 3 people or something!

If you told us you were coming and aren't, please let us know! If you still want to come come hell or high water, (LOL!!) let us know that, too!

If enough of you want to come, then we want to have a match! :-) I think it looks really fun!

We will make the decision by Friday afternoon and will send it out on tour e-mail list and post it here!

Thanks for your help!

Denise

I'm sorry guys! So many of you said you were in no matter what. We totally appreciate your confidence in us! So, last night, I even told Whittington we were good to go, BUT it has poured all night here, we can't get out to the stages in 4 wheel drive. Even if it stops raining, I'm not sure we can get out there safely. :-(

Thanks for all your support, but Saturday, Sept 14 is a no-go! Match is Cancelled!

Please tell anyone who might not read this!

We hope all of you are safe and dry!

Oct 12 - whole match out on YHEC if it's still there! :-)

We apologize!

Denise and JJ