Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Why do some use the "longer" free-float tubes on AR

Rowdy-Finn

I started using a 13" rail on my 18" gun, but after a rifle match I found blue paint on my gas block... it was from one of the barricades. After that I upgraded to a 15" rail to protect the gas block. What's funny is initially I thought the 13" was plenty long and i'd never use the real-estate of the 15, but after a few practices I found myself using the whole rail. I'm 6' 2" so I'm not a small guy.

Chicks dig the longer tubes.

I thought they liked more diameter. Now I'm all confused.

Actually I think it has something to do with wondering why you just spent 12 rounds on a 150 yd target while using a pile of tires (as required bybthe stage description) for support. Then when you're done your buddies say "Dude, you know why it took you 12 tries to hit that close target? Your barrel was resting on the tire instead of your hand guard!"

I have long gorilla arms and almost naturally grab the rifle right where the gas block sits. Have a nice scar on my hand where I touched a really hot gas block. It was so hot it seared my nerves and I didn't even realize I had done it till the skin began to slide off my hand some time later. Luckily some Second Skin and a golfing glove kept me in the game the rest of the day.

Normally I would say the longer the better. I have a 15" tube on a 16" barrel and a 17" tube on an 18" barrel. However, The 2012 ProAm match at Rockcastle last year had us shooting through a narrow port that was too narrow for a typical handguard. Most of us had to but the front of the handguard against the port and hold onto the frame of the port with only our barrel and comp sticking through. If i would have had a barrel length FF tube and I could have only stuck my comp through the port it would have been bad!

Edited by Jesse Tischauser

lewis-dutch.jpg

Long handguards are not a new idea. Here's my Heavy Metal rifle for next season.

I can't wait to see you climb the wall at BRM3G with that thing slung across your back and 2 extra mags. Blocked at 20 rds per magazine of course.

Kuan, will you run the video camera for me? :)

Rob- No worries, I'll keep the bipod in the folded position.

Who would have ever thought .303 ammo would be easier to find than .308? HA!