Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Berry's HP 180gr. Minor w/PP G22

JeremieJ

I am new to reloading and competition shooting. Right now I'm just shooting ESP in IDPA. I want to make some minor loads for my G22 with some Berry's 180 HPs. I found a formula that I can use with the Clays that I have (3.0gr at 1.130), but I couldn't find a minor load with Power Pistol for the Berry's. I did read the article that was about making a lite .40, but since I am new to this I don't know how close the load data for a Hornady HP is to a Berry's HP. I don't have a chronograph yet, but I will in the not too distant future. I'm using a Lee Turret Press with the Lee dies and I've been reading about Berry's being sensitive to crimping. How would I check to make sure the crimp isn't too tight? Measure the bullet width, make a dummy round, pull it and measure it again? Any information will be greatly appreciated! Thanks to all the people who I've already gotten so much information from on this awesome forum!

Edited by JeremieJ

That article has 4.5gr PP at 1.135 for a 180gr. Hornady XTP that gave them 132.8pf out of a G22. So, would dropping down to around 4.2gr be a good starting load to try and achieve roughly the same pf? I might be going to get that chronograph sooner than later lol. Thanks again!

In my experience PowerPistol isn't as accurate when you run it light. My G22 had a Storm Lake barrel and they are slower than the stock Glock barrel. With the SL I needed 4.4 to make minor and ran it at 4.6gr PP for a nice safe margin at 133PF. In the end my favorite minor load for it was 3.6gr of Titegroup. All at 1.135" OAL

In my experience PowerPistol isn't as accurate when you run it light. My G22 had a Storm Lake barrel and they are slower than the stock Glock barrel. With the SL I needed 4.4 to make minor and ran it at 4.6gr PP for a nice safe margin at 133PF. In the end my favorite minor load for it was 3.6gr of Titegroup. All at 1.135" OAL

Thanks for the info! I can't find any Titegroup locally yet. After reading some more post I'm kinda nervous to use Clays since these will be my first loads. I will make a few test loads with the PP and see what results I get accuracy wise. I should be safe going with the 3gr of Clays if I double check my charge weights right?

I use Tite Group for almost everything.. except minor 40, it just doesn't seal the case as well, and is very sooty.

I use Clays, 3.1 gr with this bullet in my Glocks.. PF ~ 139

Just be careful with it, and check case volume visually

I use Tite Group for almost everything.. except minor 40, it just doesn't seal the case as well, and is very sooty.

I use Clays, 3.1 gr with this bullet in my Glocks.. PF ~ 139

Just be careful with it, and check case volume visually

Thanks for info Hayden! That helps me out so much! What OAL are you using for that load btw? Have you had any issues with crimping? I read some posts about people having issues, but I think Berry's has made these newer batches a bit thicker? I was setting the press up for 1.135ins and was trying to get a feel for setting the crimp. It was around .420 and that was with the crimp die set to a light crimp according to the instructions(half a turn after it touches the bullet). I did pull one after crimping and the bullet measured at .400. Just want to get that part right because I have read too light of a crimp is just as bad as too much. Took a few good wacks to get it to come out with the puller.