Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Propane or Green gas

Keepkool

The only issue I had with Propane was the smell. I shoot in the basement and after 100 rounds or so it just stunk down there. Keeping the wife happy was worth the cost of buying green gas.

CO2 is another option on some guns. Still expensive but you can pick it up at WW. I have a KJW that runs pretty well on it. CO2 runs about .01 per shot in that gun. Green Gas runs about the same. In my TM with the metal slide green gas runs about .005 a shot. Either one is still pretty cheep. I can shoot an hour for about $2 with the KJW or $1 with the TM.

Green Gas has the required silicon lube in it. With propane you have to lube the gun. If you buy a can of spray silicon and spray the wrong o-ring, it will swell up causing the gun to become inoperative.

I know by experience :cheers: Go GG!

For ease of use (and smell), stick to Green gas. Propane indoors is pretty nasty. None of the indoor arenas here allow for propane indoors.

Also - finding the right amount of lubrication using propane can be tricky sometimes. I've had more maintenance issues with my gas blowback guns by going the "cheap way" and going with propane.

I bought a magazine for my airsoft that uses CO 2 cartridges. It is a little more expensive but worth it in my opinion. It has a much more consistant velocity and is not affected by the temperature. I buy the CO2 in boxes of 50 and it reduces the cost .

For what it's worth the odorant that Coleman uses in their propane canisters is kind of sticky; I don't know how else to describe it. Even after completely emptying the gun and the magazines the odor still clings to the gun. Maybe I just have a sensitive nose?

• 2 weeks later...

Propane has no order so mercaptans are added. Sole purpose is to oderize the propane as a safety measure.

If the oder is not an issue with you and you don't mind squirting a little silicone when refilling propane is very affordable.

All I have ever used is propane.

• 3 months later...

KWA G19 using only Propane and Silicone oil had over 20,000 BB's through it. Finally broke a part and sent it to KWA for repair.

2 weeks and a little over $50 it was returned and totally rebuilt(including a new barrel) and is still running great.

In warm weather, I can get over 6,000 shots per Propane bottle at less than $3 per bottle.

I have other AirSofts that I use the same in but they don't have nearly the BB's through them as my #1

I gave my Grandson a KWA G19 several years ago and no telling how many BB's have been through it and it is still going great.

He uses the same Propane that I do.

Edited by kengrant

• 6 months later...

I bought a magazine for my airsoft that uses CO 2 cartridges. It is a little more expensive but worth it in my opinion. It has a much more consistant velocity and is not affected by the temperature. I buy the CO2 in boxes of 50 and it reduces the cost .

Does CO2 work in 30 degree temps? My propane gun does not work below 50.

How do you add lubricant?

Edited by bmiller