Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ruger M77 or Kimber

dbletap_ed

I am looking to pick up a new bolt action in .223. Right now I am debating between the Kimber 84M LPT and the Ruger M77 MK II Target.

Any input would be appreciated. In addition if you have any other suggestions in a good .223 but I am looking for something with a twist of 1:9.

Thanks

Ed

I don't have experience w/ either of these rifles. But, I do have a FN TSR-USA and it's a fantastic rifle. http://www.fnhusa.com/l/products/commercial/rifles/tsr-series/tsr-xp-usa/

Smooth bolt, adjustable trigger, free-floated barrel. I haven't had a chance to put any good ammo through it, but w/ 55g FMJ, it will shoot just under an inch at 100.

I am looking to pick up a new bolt action in .223. Right now I am debating between the Kimber 84M LPT and the Ruger M77 MK II Target.

Any input would be appreciated. In addition if you have any other suggestions in a good .223 but I am looking for something with a twist of 1:9.

Thanks

Ed

I had a Ruger bull barrel in .223 and it was a lack luster performer. The best I got it to do was 1.2 moa after trying a variety of handloads. I would get the Remington 700 with a 1/9 twist barrel.

Pat

I would definately get a Remington 700. You will have a hard time beating their out of the box performance for the price. It is also a very good action to work with. If you have he action trued and rebarreled it will shoot right up there with some of the custom built rifles. I own several 700s that are sub 1/2 minute box stock.

I have a SS Tikka T3 . 1:8 twist barrel. Shoots everything I have tried under an inch. Not an expensive rifle. Mine is LW model,but hvy options are available. Detach mags in 5 and 10 rd are offered.

Edited by Lead-Head

I would definately get a Remington 700. You will have a hard time beating their out of the box performance for the price. It is also a very good action to work with. If you have he action trued and rebarreled it will shoot right up there with some of the custom built rifles. I own several 700s that are sub 1/2 minute box stock.

+1. The Remington is very hard to beat... There's a reason there are so many out there..

Not sure why you asked about those two but like others have suggested, the Remington 700 platform is hard to beat.

Savage makes some very good rifles too. They have built a reputation of late as being sub-MOA out of the box and the Accutrigger has been universally praised as the best factory trigger available.

What are you going to use it for ?

America is just getting better and better at producing nice bolt guns at a nice price. I don't know what to buy for my next bolt gun. Sooo many options, some good, some great. Need a tongue wagging icon. Good luck in figuring it all out.

• 3 months later...

Remington has been around for many year`s . parts are available coast too coast.most gunsmiths have experience with them. You can get custom benchrest quality add on accessories

at most shooter supply web sites. And they are very accurate right of the box.

• 2 weeks later...

Another vote for the Remington 700. Drop in a Jewell trigger if you want something better than stock. See if you can find a 5R model, mine shot sub 1/2" at 100 (5 shot group) with factory match ammo.

I know you asked about the Ruger and the Kimber; I've never shot the Kimber, but I've shot the Remington for years and recently owned a Ruger M77 for a short time.

My biggest complaint about the Ruger was the trigger, the fulcrum is much further forward than the Remington so the trigger moves up and back as the shot breaks. The Remington comes with a three way adjustable trigger which I came back to after experimenting with a 'match' trigger. I found the stock trigger with a Wolff RP TRS was capable of the best trigger pull I've ever felt (and super light too! Less than a pound).

Edited by kneelingatlas

Been a while since I started this but I have not done anything as yet. Thank you for the replies and I think you have me to the point where the Remington sounds like a better idea that what I asked about.

• 6 months later...