Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Gun buyback gets jacked.

Youngeyes

Not to derail the topic, but in one large metropolitan city, they had a buy-back and found that better than half of what they got were old pieces of junk that barely worked - if at all. They then found out that pawn shops all over town had been selling every $25 piece of junk they could lay their hands on to people who brought them to the buy-back.

Once again, free enterprise in action. Governments have to get it through their heads that people are NOT stupid. If you give money away, people will find a way to get as much of it as they can. They really don't care if you have some kind of goal you are trying to achieve.

Also from the Department of Unintended Consequences was the story a couple years back here a youth shooting organization got their hands on some shitty beat up broken rifles and turned them into a gun buyback program for gift cards -- which they then used to go buy ammo for their shooting classes. Now THAT is American ingenuity.

Back last time buy-backs were popular there were a number of characters that would troll gun shows and flea markets for junk guns, then show up and dump a load of crappy guns on any buyback that offered cash. Expect to see the same thing here and the paydays be reduced to grocery cards and sneakers and so on until they run out of other peoples money to give away.

Also from the Department of Unintended Consequences was the story a couple years back here a youth shooting organization got their hands on some shitty beat up broken rifles and turned them into a gun buyback program for gift cards -- which they then used to go buy ammo for their shooting classes. Now THAT is American ingenuity.

I think that was just this last year.

ISRA gun buyback sponsors youth shoot

Maybe I'm reading to much into it, but I have a major issue with the term "Buy-back."

(Those who know me well may find that hilarious and ironic for a different reason. :) )

But doesn't that term imply that the guns belonged in the hands of gov't or law enforcement originally and they are just getting them back where they belong?

And aren't these a bunch of unlicensed dealers performing illegal transactions?

(Let alone a bunch of Darwin's second stringers all hanging around the same place with guns of dubious quality...)

Just thinking out loud...

For some reason, whenever I hear about some of these "brilliant" government plans, I can't help but be reminded of one of the 1940's movies when the kids come up with an idea for putting on a show in some old barn. The difference being, the kids ideas always worked!