Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

A diesel powered SUV coming this summer, 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee

Chills1994

Since Fiat owns Chrysler now, they are dropping a Fiat made/owned 3.0L diesel engine into the 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee.

It will put out 240 horsepower and 420 foot pounds of torque.

It should get 30 MPG. Not bad for a 4,770 pound vehicle.

You can read more here:

http://www.freep.com/article/20130114/BUSINESS01/301140140/Fiat-s-Italian-made-diesel-engine-to-power-Jeep-Grand-Cherokee

Now, if we could convince the big three domestic manufacturers to drop a diesel into their half ton pick up trucks. :cheers:

Or something like the foreign made Toyota HiLux Vigo with a diesel.

I was talking with my buddy (who fabricates all kinds of off-roaders) about a diesel swap.

Then, just 15 minutes ago, I was wondering why somebody doesn't offer a simple 4x4 SUV with a diesel.

That is good, but, at least around here, diesel is somewhat higher than Regular per gallon.

Yeah, it is a little higher price at the pump, but keep going with the math. The increase in mileage more than offsets that. Plus, the diesel engine should last forever, and they have lots of nice torque. Clean and quiet now days too.

When I talk myself into a new car, it will likely be a VW Golf TDI.

A Hybrid Diesel would be nice...the Prius gets in the high 40's MPG with its 1.8L Hybrid Engine... Replacing it with a diesel should increase range to 60-70MPG's perhaps...? However, Diesel comes with a 20% premium on price at the pump...

Edited by TicoCafe

The Jeep Liberty was offered with a diesel at some point. Maybe if they would have put it in a decent vehicle, it would have sold more or been more popular. (or if our emissions standards werent ridiculous)

I just want to see more diesel cars, or half ton trucks.

I'm sure there will be considerable sticker shock with this Jeep Grand Cherokee.

Edited by DWFAN

An Indian company, Mehindra, had plans on importing an inexpensive small diesel truck but abandoned the plans after getting bogged in red-tape.

Not an especially great looking truck, but supposedly rugged and reliable and a good vehicle for towing.

It is normally an extra $20,000 to go with a diesel due to all of the extra government required anti-pollution gear on the vehicle.

Brian

This... Toyota had a 1/2 ton turbo diesel in the lineup for 2010, with Ford and GM planning theirs for 2011... But something happened in 2008 that caused the EPA to tighten emissions standards, killing the 1/2 ton diesel... It just doesn't make sense to put $10,000-$20,000 worth of emissions control crap on a truck that has to compete with $25,000 gas powered models.

I drove a 335d, great engine. I test drove the passat tdi....too slow! I love my 2500 6.6 duramax, just too damn big around town.

Diesel is 3.79 to 3.99/gal here, vs. 3.15 for 89 octane. 91 is 3.28

Here's my old thread from March 2011:

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=124435&hl=+diesel#entry1406300

IIRC, the huge differences in diesel engines here in the US were in the 2007-2008 year range because of EPA regs. There are all sorts of weird stuff they have to do now. One is urea injection. You have to buy urea and pour into some reservoir or tank. The urea gets injected or mixed in with the exhaust, I think, to help with emissions. So if your car or truck runs out of urea it flips into limp home mode and just putt putts home or to the auto parts store at like 25 miles per hour until the reservoir gets refilled. Ahh, here it is the BlueTec engines in the Mercedes-Benz's:

http://www.thecarconnection.com/news/1016299_diesel-urea-injection-fact-and-fiction

Looking at the Edmunds.com comparison website, it looks like getting the diesel engine tacks on $5,200 to the MSRP vs. the gasoline engine.

http://www.edmunds.com/car-comparisons/?veh1=101393789|diesel&veh2=101393729|sedan&show=0|1|2|3|4|5|6|7|8|9&comparatorId=3554096

US emission codes are killing diesels here. Our laws would rather buil inefficeint hybrids with toxic waste hazourdous lithiium batteries. Ford has made a 3 ish liter diesel in the rangers and explorers for years to be sold over seas.

Hello: I have a 2009 Jetta TDI and love it. It get over 50MPG on long trips and is pretty quick. VW now has a hybrid Jetta. I wish we could get all the diesel vehicles like they have in Europe. My Dodge 4X4 Mega cab is great for hauling stuff and kids around. Not so great on fuel. Toyota make some good diesels as well as Mercedes but they don't come in vehicles over here. Canada gets some of them :surprise: Thanks, Eric

This new diesels with dual fuel CNG conversion would be total awesomeness and should be the next "hybrid". I'm fixing to put a sequential CNG conversion on my F150 gasser but the place I'm using also does a ton of new 3/4 and 1 ton diesel trucks. With the diesel conversion it still runs diesel through the injectors, just at about 30% of normal rate. That would make diesel totally viable for a price point and with some sane regulations I could see no reason to keep all the emission equipment on them, but that would require some logical thinking in D.C.

The price for CNG? The brand new pump that is fortunately about a half mile from my house is $0.79. That's not a typo.

I have been waiting for them to put a deisel in a jeep wrangler for years now. I had a 1997 tj wrangler that I put a bt4 in out of a ups truck . Not much for speed but it loved the hills

I have wanted this too. I test drove several of the new four doors when they came out and hated the mini van V-6 especially with the 6 speed. The first time I opened the hood I saw the 10"+ of space in front of the motor and said "good they left room for a V8..." Needless to say I have not been holding my breath. Ill keep my straight 6 cherokee.

I just hope it's available with a manual transmission. Unfortunately, I don't think I'll get my wish.

Even the compact pickups which are now available in 4 doors in the USA are not available in 6 cyl with a manual tranny.

I will not drive an automatic, and sadly, the manufacturers aren't leaving me too many options.

Looking at the Edmunds.com comparison website, it looks like getting the diesel engine tacks on $5,200 to the MSRP vs. the gasoline engine.

http://www.edmunds.c...ratorId=3554096

Yup. I was shopping for a VW Golf TDI a couple of years a go. With the markup on the diesel version and the lack of $ incentives from VW the breakeven point for a TDI vs. the gas version for me was at 160,000 miles.

The Mazda CX5 is also supposed to get a diesel engine within the next two years.

• 3 weeks later...