Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1050 Advice Please

I used to say the same thing. Spent an hour on the phone with Dillon one day because I wanted to load 308 on my 1050 but I was scared to death that I would have to go thru that massive headache of setting up the primer system again. The guy convinced me (he didn't really convince me, more like shamed me into it) and I swapped it out to large primer to do 308. Well, lo and behold, the Dillon guy was right! (Called him back and told him too). The primer system does NOT have to be readjusted, just swap parts and reassemble and load ammo!

This!! I'm a mechanical idiot, and swapping the primer system is easy. Definitely not worth the cost of another 1050 to avoid.

• 2 weeks later...

When you buy a new 1050, they come with both small and large primer conversions.

That may have been the case long a ago, but since I've been sellign 1050s (about 10 years), the press only comes with the priming conversion that matches the caliber the press was ordered in.

be

I do not swage on my 1050. I took it off my machine. Changing primer systems is a piece of cake; what is it- four bolts and a screw. The setting the primer depth. Gee Whiz 30 minutes-tops.

The only brass I swage is 223!

I swage with the Dillon Super Duper Handy Dandy Swage. Drilled a couple of holes in my bench, run a couple of bolts to snug it up then swage away.

I also will now clean my primer pocket by hand. Heck sometimes I will even redo the primer pocket.

Why: Being new to bottle neck cases, I did thousands rounds. Later I found that some did not fit my case gauge very well. Oops. The lesson I learned was to separate brass by makers. Throw away crap brass, which was very hard to do but smart. Now everything but LC is for practice. LC is for 3Gun matches.

Bottle neck case reloading is all about case preparation. I learned the hard way.

That may have been the case long a ago, but since I've been sellign 1050s (about 10 years), the press only comes with the priming conversion that matches the caliber the press was ordered in.

Thats a bummer. I did not know that they had changed.

Felony dumbass on my part.

Thats a bummer. I did not know that they had changed.

Felony dumbass on my part.

:D

I'm not sure at what date 1050's stopped coming with both primer sizes.

be