Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Due for total hip replacement

InfVet

All,

I'm going to have a total hip replacement done soon and was wondering if anyone out there has gone through the same thing.

I'm not sure completely as to how the procedure will impact my ability to train and compete once I've fully recovered from the operation. Dislocations are a real concern and I'm told that my range of motion will be restricted accordingly.

Thanks in advance for your advice!

Just had my second hip replacement in July 2012 (first in 2008) and only my 62 years are keeping me from recovering as fast from the second one. I took it easy for almost a year with the first one, not knowing how great the risk of dislocation really was. After about 3 months after the second one, I'm back to running (well, waddling) again and rely heavily on the first replacement. I don't consciously think about dislocation any more - don't tell my doctor....

The relief of pain from the condition necessitating the replacements was well worth the rehab, range time lost and discomfort.

Work the muscles, follow rehab directions and you'll recover completely.

I'm 51 and I've had both of mine replaced, first in 2007 and second in 2009. My Doctor told me no running. Well, if you saw what I do now, it doesn't really classify as running.

I guess my greatest reason for having it done was the pain of a worn out joint. The pain goes away instantly after the joint is replaced. I had miraculous recoveries on both of mine. I had mine done the Tuesday before Thanksgiving in the years listed above. I walked out of the hospital under my own power on Thanksgiving, yes two days later.

I drove myself into work on Monday in my car with a manual transmission. I didn't go back to work full duty, But was able to get around. It's all about your attitude. Get up and get going.

I have not been taking it easy on my new hips since they've been replaced. I would say there was a better chance of dislocation BEFORE they were replaced as they were completely worn out. Yeah, I can't really do the splits after I had them done, but I couldn't do it before.

You'll be just fine. It'll feel funny when/if you run. Mitigating the pain should be your goal.

Good luck

Thanks for your replies guys. The surgeon told me that I'll feel so much better afterwards as the pain now is unrelenting.

You know, I've been living with knee pain for around 6 years now and this surgeon was the only one who was able to immediately determine that the problem was with my hip and not the knee. :mellow:

The Xrays he took very clearly showed that he was correct.

The procedure should take around 45 minutes, hospital stay 1-3 days, no driving for 6 weeks or so. I'm a bit concerned about recovery time as my leg muscles aren't very strong due to the pain and stiffness I have. Hopefully, I can recover quickly and return to a normal training regiment.

Having had both hips replaced 1 in 2010 and 1 in 2011 I got to the gym as soon as my PT told it was ok and I worked out until 2 weeks prior to the second surgery, After the second surgery I was back at the gym riding the bike in 2 weeks. I it is going to take a lot mental persuasion for you to get yourself going but a approach it with patientence and also a desire to get back to a good point. I dont run any marathons but short sprints for a stage does not seem to cause any discomfort. I am still at the gym 3-4 times a week plus a weekly competion in the summer. So all I can say is that I feel better than I did for 15 years. My massage therapist says that the new hips are less prone to dislocation than those of the past. Just use good sense as you go. I know that I probably over due it but I have a Marine mentality.

Having had both hips replaced 1 in 2010 and 1 in 2011 I got to the gym as soon as my PT told it was ok and I worked out until 2 weeks prior to the second surgery, After the second surgery I was back at the gym riding the bike in 2 weeks. I it is going to take a lot mental persuasion for you to get yourself going but a approach it with patientence and also a desire to get back to a good point. I dont run any marathons but short sprints for a stage does not seem to cause any discomfort. I am still at the gym 3-4 times a week plus a weekly competion in the summer. So all I can say is that I feel better than I did for 15 years. My massage therapist says that the new hips are less prone to dislocation than those of the past. Just use good sense as you go. I know that I probably over due it but I have a Marine mentality.

Great advice...thanks.

If you are having an anterior approach, which is the preferred method, and it works out you will probably spend only one night in the hospital, 5 miserable days at home-incisions hurt, but in a week you won't remember it. Your leg is probably shorter as well. There is no specific rehab for an anterior approach, other than walking. It may take you a full year to feel normal on the range again, but there is no reason you can't shoot a match at walking speed in a month or two. Old style hip replacements are a whole different thing and hopefully your condition won't require that. There is no running after a hip replacement. I mean you can run through stages and stuff, but like jogging and treadmills are out. Unless you want another operation soon.

I've had both shoulders and both hips enhanced with Teflon and Titanium...getting old ain't for sissies. Stryker has a model that provides more range of motion...about 10% more...and is designed specifically for "more active" patients. Google the various brands...there are significant differences. Ask your surgeon what brand and model he typically uses. BTW, my surgeon had been using the older model from Stryker and I had to "discuss" what I wanted. Also, if your surgery is being done at a teaching hospital ask (demand) that the surgeon does the work and not one of the residents.

My shoulders required about 3 or 4 months of recovery time, but my hips didn't. They had me walking in about two hours after I woke up. I was back in the gym in about two weeks after both hip surgeries and running (jogging really...sorta like an airborne shuffle at first) after about six weeks. The surgeon and the PTs were not in favor of what I did. But I just paid attention to no severe rotation/turning of the hips...all exercises in the gym were on the machines and the running was strictly straight forward. No problems. I will say that three of the joints are as if they were OEM...the right hip not so much. I am aware that it has been replaced...but have encountered no restrictions/problems.

I also spent three years with debilitating pain in the knees. It turns out that referred pain from the knees is a very common symptom from arthritic hips. Everybody kept telling me it was from my back. Wrong!

Hey, best of luck.

A-G

• 2 months later...

Hey guys,

I'm now at two weeks post-op and all went very well. The diseased hip joint was considerably worse than the surgeon thought and I only had a 2-1/2 day stay in the hospital (the food was excellent). I've been doing a great deal of walking during the last three days and am making great progress with rehab. Other than the incision site, the only area giving me a bit of pain is the knee area as this was very weak prior to the surgery. The narcotics they give you really screw up the G.I. tract... :blush:

I hope to begin training again in mid-June but will have to come up with a game plan to avoid positions that may compromise the integrity of the hip joint.

Thanks again for your advice and enjoy your week!