Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

best vehicle for young professional/shooter

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Corvette.

32 mpg, 190mph capable, reaaaly subtle (not), gear for a 10 day trip, and guns for 2 people fit, and used in good shape can be found for 27K

What's not to like?

I have tot ell you that this latest incarnation of the Corvette is very appealing to me. If I were single, and made decent coin, there would be no reason for anything else.

Edited by JimmyZip

Corvette.

32 mpg, 190mph capable, reaaaly subtle (not), gear for a 10 day trip, and guns for 2 people fit, and used in good shape can be found for 27K

What's not to like?

I have tot ell you that this latest incarnation of the Corvette is very appealing to me. If I were single, and made decent coin, there would be no reason for anything else.

You only get one lifetime my friend. I bought this for my birthday (new to me) for 32k. I have always had a real fondness for Corvettes and what they represent.

And 2 shooters went on a 12 hour road trip (one way) to shoot a sectional. 2 suitcases, 4 guns, 3500 rounds of loaded ammo, range gear, boots and shoes, 2 jackets each, and a roadside safery kit and a cooler. It all fit just fine with some practice. True we could not travel with the top off, but the AC will freeze the boobs of a penguin, stereo is first rate, and the fuel costs were less than a V6 accord that made the same trip.

If you ever want one, one day you will :) all it takes is time.

This is a 'Base' C6. Not a Z06 or ZR1. She still runs to 60 mph in 4 seconds and does a very tasty 12.0 sec 1/4 mile.

At 75mph in top gear (6th) it quietly turns 1900 rpms, and sips fuel.

My buddies WRX in some ways is a better car. More room, AWD etc. but he HAS to use premium fuel, whereas the vette can use midgrade.

Also, at 75mph, I get 32mpg. The WRX gets 20.5.

Less aero drag, less rpms, less driveline friction, and there you have it.

I daily drive this in the summer, and make every day 'special' when I do.

haha, i"m still shopping. I hate car dealers so much, and having never made a car payment before (always bought cash) I can't fathom spending 400 a month for anything that's not a vette or BMW... but working on it.

Nice ride! my in-laws are working on restoring a 75 Olds Delta 88 convertible. That's got room to travel, but gets like 12 MPG highway at best....

I have a 2011 Subaru WRX. From the factory it ran pretty well. After the intake, exhaust, and flash tuner it is absolutely wicked. I came from an '01 Mustang GT with some work done....the WRX would embarass that car. On top of that, I drive it 25K miles per year in all kinds of weather. The Subaru AWD is second to none. I'm 6'5" and I have to move the seat up to work the clutch. I do only get about 22 MPG average. I can use the "economy" tune and get about 26-28 on the highway.

My parents have had nothing but Subarus for a while now. They currently have a 2012 Legacy and a 2013 Impreza. Both get 30+ MPG and both were WELL under 25K brand new.

Get what you like, but I promise you will not be disappointed with a Subaru

I'm with P.E. Kelly. The Honda Element is a versatile vehicle that can haul a ton of stuff. My wife bought it to go to dog shows with our Old English Sheep Dogs and it was awesome. The back seats fold flat or flip up against the side walls or just pop out. It has a rubber floor that wipes up very easily. For shooting I can fit a ton of bags, targets, stands and whatever else I need with no problem. Ours is 4x4 as well and drives great in the snow. Slow as hell but it does get 25mpg or so on the freeway.

I work in the Auto industry. I think the Subaru is everything you required. I work for the German equivalent. The car was thinking of suggesting was $15000 more . If you have never had torsen differential all wheel drive, you will be very impressed. Subaru is the Audi of Japan, but much more reliable. great for the range, and the dog, gas mileage, foul weather, comfort, features etc.

I have a 2011 Subaru WRX. From the factory it ran pretty well. After the intake, exhaust, and flash tuner it is absolutely wicked. I came from an '01 Mustang GT with some work done....the WRX would embarass that car. On top of that, I drive it 25K miles per year in all kinds of weather. The Subaru AWD is second to none. I'm 6'5" and I have to move the seat up to work the clutch. I do only get about 22 MPG average. I can use the "economy" tune and get about 26-28 on the highway.

My parents have had nothing but Subarus for a while now. They currently have a 2012 Legacy and a 2013 Impreza. Both get 30+ MPG and both were WELL under 25K brand new.

Get what you like, but I promise you will not be disappointed with a Subaru

The subaru awd is second to one, not none. The SWAWD from Acura is far superior to subaru's. Look it up. Acura's can change 70% power front to back and 100% side to side. No other awd can do that.

I'm sure you are correct, but you could also get an AWD subaru with decent equipment for well under $20K. All I can say is I have never even come close to getting stuck. I actually look forward to snowstorms since I have had this car. It is so easy to control.....and does very interesting donuts :devil:

Audi is the best all wheel drive system. due to the torsen diff, the other systems, albeit giving 100% transfer, are usually doing after it's too late. The audi has "pre-sense" from the front wheels, and terrain sensors that can guage the slip "before" it happens and transfer the power accordingly with the help of ABS and ESP. Subaru is Second, as it is just the torsen diff. Acura is just a modified haldex viscous coupling with some fancy marketing attached. Subaru's are more reliable than honda. Honda/ Acura just have more money to play with advertising. Honda isn't what it used to be.

+1 for the F150 with the Ecoboost. I love mine, but you might have a hard time meeting you $27,000 price limit. And in traffic, it won't get any better mileage than the big V8s. Drive in right on the highway though and it will get 20+ mpg.

You can find some 2012 F-150's, with the ecoboost, 4 doors, and 4X4 still on the lot for under $30,000, if you look.

I went with the 2012 Wrangler Unlimited. You can find them now, with Auto and very low mileage for under 27k. Drop the top and take all the doors off and it's about the most fun you can have without getting a motorcycle, selectable 4wd, 25mpg on the highway if you get a base model (new engine, new tranny and 3.21 gears) For under $200 you can get the Tuffy rear compartment which turns your tailgate into a trunk. Best part is, it looks factory and no one will know it's there.

I leave my jeep parked in the city with no doors, no top and an AR15, Shotgun, Pistol and everything to go with it locked in the back, theft is the least of my worries as it blends right in. Also, the new motor makes almost 300HP, its 0-60 is under 7 seconds and drives very spirited. I don't think I'll ever go to a vehicle that's not a wrangler after having this.

Edited by partyboy424

Corvette.

What's not to like?

I know you were being facetious, but have you seen the roads/driveways that lead up to most ranges?

You wouldn't have much of an undercarriage left in a Vette.

Corvette.

What's not to like?

I know you were being facetious, but have you seen the roads/driveways that lead up to most ranges?

So far, no issues, most ranges have semi decent roads. No, you can't drive on them quickly, but you get there :)

I Do use mine for a range vehicle, however, the coolest I have seen at a range (to date) was an Aston Martin DB9 with 007 on the license plate!!!

Corvette.

What's not to like?

So far, no issues, most ranges have semi decent roads. No, you can't drive on them quickly, but you get there :)

I Do use mine for a range vehicle, however, the coolest I have seen at a range (to date) was an Aston Martin DB9 with 007 on the license plate!!!

This pic was snapped on hwy 16 through the icefields......6600' ASL elevation.... on the back straight... my version of 'Vanishing Point' Pic was taken on the way to sectionals, and you can barely see, but there is not much room in the trunk (cargo netting hides the gear, but the rear window does have a smaller FOV) And yes, I am trying to lose a few pounds....5'7" and 250....... a bit on the heavy side.... :( but it does help recoil :)

post-25255-0-41376300-1361635603_thumb.j

Edited by Got Juice?

And the fuel use.... IF you can fight the temptation....... I was not on cruise yet, just slowly getting up to 65 mph..... I have tuned the car using a Wideband O2 sensor and EFI Live which allows me to run slightly more energy dense fuel (regular gas) at the cost of some horsepower (35hp). Still, If I want full power (400) I just fill with midgrade and change the tuning (about 3 minutes to flash the ECM)

Then again... everything in moderation... including moderation....

post-25255-0-60691600-1361636162_thumb.j

Edited by Got Juice?

Just don't get a Caddy, you might end up trading it for a microphone. Oh, and make sure it has a good cigarette lighter.

I was actually wanting a CTS-V instead of the 'Vette... a little more stealthy and practical, but I could not find one when I wanted it.

haha, i"m still shopping. I hate car dealers so much, and having never made a car payment before (always bought cash) I can't fathom spending 400 a month for anything that's not a vette or BMW... but working on it.

The really smart move would be to continue your lifelong streak of not having car payments!! Your 02 Altima probably still has enough life left in it to give you time to save up the cash.

(Now that I'm a middle-aged professional, I understand the value of not taking on personal debt to finance an asset that quickly depreciates. I only wish I had figured that out years ago when I was still a young professional!)