Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

best vehicle for young professional/shooter

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They are refreshing the RAV4. No more V6. They got rid of the side hinged rear door. They do have 0% financing for 60 or so months on the existing stock.

They are also changing the Forester. Existing stock have 0% financing for 60+ months. New Forester will be bigger and use a CVT with much better MPG.

Personally I'd wait to see what the new Forester is like.

But if I had to buy one now I'd look at the Subaru Outback, an old MY RAV4 V6 (fast) with a swing out door (full-size spare is a plus to me) or a Honda CRV (good value).

Personally I'm also looking at a 4x4 Nissan Frontier. Can get a new decent one for about $25K. Much cheaper than the Tacoma. Would be my "hunting" vehicle.

I'm telling ya, SUBARU. But, I'm biased, I love mine.

At his moment I'm in a factory full of them. People do seem to love them. They have the variable shiftless tranny which is kind different for anyone who hasn't driven a car with one. Everyone here who has one tells me they rarely have any issues with them and I have never heard anyone who bought say they regret it. I may end up with one in a few years. We can't build them fast enough and forced over time and Saturday production is likely going to cause conflict with my match schedule this season.

so far I'm looking at a subaru legacy, chevy 1500, ford F150, and the FJ cruiser. I have no idea which way to go with this. Suggestions are appreciated!

I've been driving Chevrolet 1500 since mid-80's. But GM did take a bailout. Hate to say it, but next truck will probably be another Chevy.

Bill

If you're on the fence about pickup or SUV, think about how you carry most of the stuff you need to haul. As a friend of mine told me 11 years ago, "Most of the stuff I haul around should be protected from the elements, and would fit in an SUV."

That comment got me to pick between a Silverado and the 2WD 2002 Tahoe I still drive today. With the Tahoe's clearance and weight distribution over the rear axle, 2WD made sense in NJ/Eastern PA. If I'd bought a Silverado I would have wanted either 4WD, or lots of weight over the rear axle during inclement weather.....

hmm, lots of different ideas, but you guys all seem to be suggesting something that closes up. A sedan or SUV does make sense, since I can lock stuff in it without worrying. I carry mostly gear that should be protected from the elements and an easy grab, so SUV or car sounds good.

You all had good luck with subaru? I found a decked out Legacy with leather and sunroof and the big engine for like $21, so I think it might be a viable option. My buddy blew up his WRX, but he also raced it without building it correctly, so that might not be a good gauge. He also flipped his first subaru in college, and we rolled it over and it started right up... wonder if they still make them that nice?

Most manufacturers of station wagons/Tahoes etc. will offer a cargo shade. Buy one and use it religiously, and install an aftermarket alarm system.....

Those two worked for me back in the day when I owned high end camera gear worth as much as the truck, as a working photojournalist......

I have a 99 jeep Cherokee 5 speed. It gets 20-25 MPG on the highway if I dont dog it. It will also take you just about anywhere you want to go. IMO you can not find a finer car. If they still made them I would take a home equity loan and buy 5 of them to put in storage just incase they stop making them again. Did I mention I love my car?

I don't think they have a 4x4 but the Chevy Traverse meets all the other requirements. Bought mine specifically to support going to the range and moving my own gun gear and targetry. I call it an MRAP (Mobile Rifle And Pistol carrier). More cube than a Tahoe. 24 MPG on the highway. Seats 7 comfortably if you aren't carrying gear. I think it was the Motor Trend SUV of the year when it came out in 2009. Put a Yakima carrier on top for the long guns and bikes when I make my frequent PCS moves.

Chevy did get a bail out so I saw it as investing in my own company...

By Bail Out do you mean a donation? Becasue Chevy as part of GM got a Loan, which they repaid, not a donation. The government still owns shares of GM, but will likely be selling them sometime later this year.

And the Traverse does come in an AWD version. But I would look hard at an Equinox AWD. Plenty of cargo room, and gets 30+ MPG.

Despite not having severe cold weather in TX, many ranges have unimproved roads or parking lots, and if it rains you will be happy you have AWD or 4WD.

By Bail Out do you mean a donation? Becasue Chevy as part of GM got a Loan, which they repaid, not a donation. The government still owns shares of GM, but will likely be selling them sometime later this year.

By Bail Out, I do not mean a donation.

I mean the government kicked out management, wrote off as worthless all the bond and share values that us retirees held in various accounts, and donated my assets to the unions for their past and future support, all without due process of law.

But then that's just my opinion.

hmm, lots of different ideas, but you guys all seem to be suggesting something that closes up. A sedan or SUV does make sense, since I can lock stuff in it without worrying. I carry mostly gear that should be protected from the elements and an easy grab, so SUV or car sounds good.

You all had good luck with subaru? I found a decked out Legacy with leather and sunroof and the big engine for like $21, so I think it might be a viable option. My buddy blew up his WRX, but he also raced it without building it correctly, so that might not be a good gauge. He also flipped his first subaru in college, and we rolled it over and it started right up... wonder if they still make them that nice?

http://www.subaru-sia.com/

Check out the 2008 or newer Scion Xb. Its only front wheel drive, but it gets decent gas mileage and you can haul 4 people and all of their shooting gear to matches. I bought one of these new in 2008 for $17,200 and put 100,000 miles on it in 4 years. It never skipped a beat and I was regularly surprised at how much stuff I could pack into it for hauling around.

• 4 weeks later...

I say go with the CRV. I tested the 2013 CRV for about 7 months before it came onto the market. We beat the crap out of it at the track and it kept on ticking. The fuel milage is great, the tech package is really good, comfortable suspension and a great value. The Acura TL with SHAWD is also amazing but a touch expensive, fuel mileage isn't great and it takes premium fuel. They are by far the best handeling car you will ever drive. This includes the BMW 5 series and C class. I am picking one up in about 3 months. Good luck!

I have a Honda Insight hybrid. Sure, I had to turn in my Man Card at the dealer when I picked it up but I got me and all my gear from home in Missoula to the Ironman near Boise and back on two tanks of gas.

It's not an off road or deep snow vehicle, I have others for that. It is a great car for getting there economically as long as you're on pavement.

I have owned almost every type of truck or SUV mentioned. Based on experience I like the Toyota Tacoma Crew Cab TRD V6. It gets great gas milage and has more than enough room for two shooters and gear for 3 Gun matches. It handles very well and is like driving a full sized automobile on the highway while being able to handle almost all off road obstacles.

Edited by Jaxshooter

Have you bought yet?

In 1990 my Dad bought a Subaru, I think it was a Legacy, anyway he begged me to get one as my first car. I declined and bought a Geo Tracker. Long story short, that Subaru is still running, he gave the thing to a friend in 2003 or so and as far as I know that guy still drives it. I went through many newer and new vehicles in that time and Pops would just smile and point at his Subaru.

I always regretted not getting the Subaru, about $12,000 then, and of course they did get out of my price range for many years.

While they are creeping to $30,000 now for nicely equipped, I feel it's a great buy. Plus Subaru guarantees you a good trade in price when you want an upgrade after a few years.

I hope you do enjoy whatever you got or will get though.

But more importantly............good shooting to you!!!!

The Ford edge sport looks nice but they are $$$. I have also heard they have bad blind spots. I would really take my time when test driving it and pay attention to the basics a d not get overwhelmed with the interior. The regular edge does nothing for me though.

Edited by gixxerjunky