Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

best vehicle for young professional/shooter

Hey all,

This is probably a weird request for info, but I need some help. I'm looking to replace my 02 altima when it dies, and I'm not sure what to go with. I am a young professional and commute less than 10 miles each way, but in solid traffic. I'm in Dallas now, but have lived up north for a while before. I can't decide between a truck, smaller SUV, or sedan. I like a bunch of different stuff, but here are the requirements. Let me know what to do and why!

need 4x4/AWD there's enough bad weather here that I want it

seats 4 people, or 2 and a dog, but mostly used for 1

good enough to get my gear to the range, but not a monster in size

gas milage at 20mpg highway at least

under $27,000 new or more likely used

not made by any company that got a bail out

so far I'm looking at a subaru legacy, chevy 1500, ford F150, and the FJ cruiser. I have no idea which way to go with this. Suggestions are appreciated!

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've got the Subaru Outback and couldn't be happier. I deal with snow here in Indiana and I commute about 7 miles one way to work. The gas mileage is great and when I travel to big shoots its even better. I love the vehicle.

Edited to add: between 25 and 27 mpg city and I get over 30mpg on the highway. AWD and I really like the comfort, I'm 6'4".

Edited by Chris iliff

Honda Element. It has a tailgate, all the seats fold down into a bed. The rear seats can be flipped up and latched out of the way or removed. It gets 25MPG on he road. This photo is from the MGM Iron Man room for everything and more. Mine is AWD.

p189071168-4.jpg

Edited by P.E. Kelley

I don't think they have a 4x4 but the Chevy Traverse meets all the other requirements. Bought mine specifically to support going to the range and moving my own gun gear and targetry. I call it an MRAP (Mobile Rifle And Pistol carrier). More cube than a Tahoe. 24 MPG on the highway. Seats 7 comfortably if you aren't carrying gear. I think it was the Motor Trend SUV of the year when it came out in 2009. Put a Yakima carrier on top for the long guns and bikes when I make my frequent PCS moves.

Chevy did get a bail out so I saw it as investing in my own company...

DFW area doesn't have any weather that would remotely require a 4 wheel drive. A Prius would suffice and they really get excellent mileage. I'd also second the Tucson. Remember, the bigger and more "manly". the greater initial investment and much poorer gas mileage.

Having driven Toyotas for 30 years I have to say the rav4 or the highlander. Toyotas just won't die and they need very little to keep them alive. I drive a Tacoma and can honestly say it is not the best choice for a shooting vehicle. I either have to cram my stuff in the rear seats or lay it in the bed of the truck which is neither dry nor secure. A cover could fix that but they are expensive. I think a mid sized SUV is about the perfect choice for a shooting vehicle. A few guys I know have the 150's with the crew cabs and yes they may be perfect for hauling 4 guys and gear to a big match, but other than that they seem too big, too expensive and too gas thirsty for daily commutes.

I've got the Subaru Outback and couldn't be happier. I deal with snow here in Indiana and I commute about 7 miles one way to work. The gas mileage is great and when I travel to big shoots its even better. I love the vehicle.

Edited to add: between 25 and 27 mpg city and I get over 30mpg on the highway. AWD and I really like the comfort, I'm 6'4".

Funny thats where I work! (where the outback is made)

I like my Dakota. With a hard shell flat cover on the bed its easy to reach into. Not as high as 1/2 ton truck which can be a pain to reach stuff in the bed. Plus its lockable. The only thing I dont like about the SUV route is if you have any stuff in the back and park anywhere its easy for anyone to "window shop". I had a Cherokee but got rid of it for that reason.

Edited by KentG

If they are still offering it go with the Ford Fusion in AWD. I have a 2010 Sport AWD and love it. Also Ford did not take a bailout, they took care of themselves. The trunk is huge on these cars.

Brian

Edited for fat fingers

Edited by Too_Slow

I'm telling ya, SUBARU. But, I'm biased, I love mine.

Chris

We looked at Subaru Outbacks awhile back and thought they would be the only thing to lure us away from Toyota. But it seemed they are fairly expensive if you got them decently equipped. Did we just not shop around enough? They seem like a very good sized car for a couple without kids around any longer.

Edited by Sarge