Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Bayou Bullets and STI Edge

BASE772

Has anyone tried to run 180 gr Bayou Bullets in their STI Edge and it didn't work?

Reason I ask,.... I find myself going through a case (2500) of Montana Gold JHP's every two months. So 1250 rounds a month. They run flawlessly but getting pretty pricey so say the least. I hear nothing but good things about Bayou Bullets and would love to try them before I buy a couple cases. ( Already notified Donnie per email)

But with lead times that seem to be getting longer it could be several weeks before I get to try them and then even longer before I would get an order. Which would mean I would run out of bullets I already have.

So,...would it be dumb to order a case or two without trying them out first. I got a jug of WST just waiting. :)

Thanks

Thanks for the replies guys. Since we are on the topic of lead bullets what crimp dies do you use for your loads?

I've done searches already and basicly come up with which ever die works for you. Some guys say tapered and some guys say FCD. I've never loaded lead, I've got a Dillion 550B using Dillion dies except for the crimp which I use a Lee FCD for 9mm, .40, and .45 with great results. But I have the Dillion tapered crimp die if needed.

My thought was to try the FCD first, if that doesn't work go to the tapered crimp.

I use a Lee Factory Crimp die ... and I would pull one of the bullets in a batch just to make sure theres a slight ring around the bullet ... Then you should be good

0.421 crimp but if you use the sharp part of the caliper on the very edge of the brass where it meets the bullet ... MInes @ 0.419 crimp

Thanks for the replies guys. Since we are on the topic of lead bullets what crimp dies do you use for your loads?

I've done searches already and basicly come up with which ever die works for you. Some guys say tapered and some guys say FCD. I've never loaded lead, I've got a Dillion 550B using Dillion dies except for the crimp which I use a Lee FCD for 9mm, .40, and .45 with great results. But I have the Dillion tapered crimp die if needed.

My thought was to try the FCD first, if that doesn't work go to the tapered crimp.

I like the FCD die for fmj but I seem to get better results just using a standard Dillion crimp die to .422 on lead, moly and copper plated bullets in my STI limited guns.

Never mind, I just ordered some. :)

So 1.180 OAL under 4.8 of WST for major PF??? :devil:

my .40 load is a 180gr moly at 1.175 with 4.5gr WST making around 173 power factor out of a 5" STI

Thanks you sir, looks like I'll start at 4.4.

Depends on the barrel/time of the year.

I run 4.6-4.8 WST at 1.180" for a Bear Creek 180 moly.

-I use a standard Lee sizer. Tighter than the Dillon I had, but not overly tight like a U die.

-I got rid of the FCD. If the sizing die isn't doing its job, replace the sizing die. That's what it is supposed to do. I also notice way better neck tension without the FCD in place. YMMV.

-Redding Comp Seater

-Regular Dillon taper crimp: I apply as much crimp to remove the bell and drop into the chamber. No more, no less.

My rounds run flawlessly.