Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Beretta Xtrema 2 extraction problem

TheMiz

Has anyone heard of an issue with Beretta Xtrema 2's or any Xtrema extracting light loads for clays fine, but not 3.5" 2 shot? Usually if there were any issues it would be the other way around. Gun has not been used much. Maybe 1000 shells. Took sporing clay shooting back in November and had 0 issues for 2 courses. The went good hunting in december and it would fire the first shot, buy not cycle. You could run the action with you an and it would kick the shell fine. Gun has never been abused and has been taken care of.

I had an issue with mine after a steady diet of 2 3/4 value packs. The ports to bleed gas for heavier loads were completely plugged up with carbon. I had to use a drill bit to clean them out. I'm guessing the light loads don't move the spring enough to let them purge.

Also, the heaviest 3.5" super thunder magnums I could find didn't clean them out, they just broke my bolt handle...so don't try that.

Thanks for the replies. I believe my xtrema is the 1st generation and that gun is ten years old now. I could shoot 200 clays with 8 shot on friday and sat morning load it with 3.5" bb or 2 shot and kill geese. My father's xtrema 2 has been a pain. I have never known the beretta's to be that picky and jam like this. Most of are older models are hard workers. They get clean, but aren't babied. Never had any issues with them clogging from carbon. I will take a closer look.

• 3 weeks later...

I've owned both versions and currently an Extrema 2 is my primary clays gun. Provided they're clean they tend to feed just about anything. As someone mentioned make sure the gun is clean, the gas ports are open and I would even suggest checking the recoil spring in the stock. Sometimes water gets in there and they rust up which will jam up everything....

• 2 months later...

This weekend shooting 3 gun, my Xtremea II wouldn't run Winchester AA 7 1/2 shot running at 1145 fps. Once I put Federals running at 1200 fps, it ran fine. I had cleaned it and lubed it right before the stage so it wasn't dirty. Does Beretta make lighter recoil springs for the Xtrema?

Hello: So which is the bad one? I have an Extrema here but not sure if it is the bad one or not. It does have a rubber "O" ring in the forend. Does that make it the bad one? Not my gun so trying tell the guy if it is a keeper or not. Please let me know. Thanks, Eric

• 3 weeks later...

Keep this thread going. Found the problem with ours. It was the extractor. We shot geese with some of the rumination 3.5" faststeel I think it is called. I have heard that they have torn up some guns. I have the original xtrema and never had an issue (knocking on wood).