Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Two guns blown up in five weeks...suggestions?

PapaBonez

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I started out on a progressive press the Hornady LNL, so I don't have any expierence with the 550. I can tell you that I've loaded more than 100K rounds, and that the visual check well it just don't work 100%. Seen that insurance commercial with the car falling off the ferry, well humans aren't perfect.

I've never had a double charge but I have created a few Squibs, same principle visual check.

My primary loader Dillion 650 has a Powder Check, I owned the powder check over a year before I tried it, after trying it I discovered that I was much faster loading and that it worked, anything +-.2gr sets it off and you stop and look and fix the problem. I now don't like loading without it.

Still have the Hornady and use it for odd jobs like 45, minor 9 mm etc.

I don't like TiteGroup but that isn't the problem, it is hard to see in a case, WST works about the same and is easy to see in a case. Try some N320, its great in 9 mm with Jacketed bullets.

I shoot mostly 9 major so the chance of a double charge is Zero. 10gr of AA#7 fills the case to the top, have to mash it down to set the bullet.

Edited by CocoBolo

Getting a new press may help but if there is an issue with your reloading practice you could still have the same problem with a progressive. I does seem the 550 requires a bit more attention to detail but is still an excellent press.

There was someone on the forum a few years ago with similar issues ( couple of squib loads an a kaboom) using a 550.. It came down to pulling cases to do frequent powder checks and just not following thru afterwards. When I had a 550, Here was my method. You need to develop what works for you, this is just what worked for me....

Run a spent primed case through the powder measure only, ten separate times, and weigh each. This may sound like over kill but it takes maybe 2 min to complete. Yes, after measuring, pour powder back in tube and do again.

Once your satisfied your drop is correct, start loading and don't pull cases to do checks. I always did this 200 rounds at a time, spare primer tube ready.

Look in EVERY case when placing bullet.

After 200 rounds, Let the press empty out, get your primer tubes ready, check drop again (I only checked 2drops) and start again.

200rnds a whack gives you a nice break to empty your bin, inspect your loads, check your press, empty your spent primers, re-fill powder tube (I do not let drop below plastic tube) before starting again. Your press should no problem keeping the powder drops accurate over this time frame if your doing your part.

You'll loose just a few minutes doing this but will still have plenty of rounds out of the press and have less chance of getting complacent.

Doing this, you should be able to get a good system down so that if something is wrong you'll be able to recognize it right off. Get a system and stick to it. If someone else is going to use your press, get them to follow your example!!!

However you do it, once you get comfortable that your loading sessions are thorough, your shooting sessions will be more enjoyable knowing that a kaboom isn't waiting on your next shot.

I don't think that you are going to have any confidence in your ammo after this, with the press you have (I know I wouldn't). In the back of your mind you are going to have a little voice questioning what is going to happen every time you pull the trigger and that is a terrible thing to have. The majority of this game is building, gaining and having confidence and this includes our equipment.

Auto Index with a RCBS Lockout die, it is the way to go.

I agree if you are going to change powder 231 would be a great and safe one, double check to make sure you have the small powder bar in, if you have the big powder bar, you could be getting a bigger charge every now and then, everyone that posted above me had excellent info and everything they said is 100% true. Go at it a little slower for awhile.

First sorry to hear. I know it is a a$$hole thing to say but reloading is not for everyone. If you want to continue on the journey of reloading I would suggest a self indexing 650 with powder check or lockout dies as others have suggested.

Best advise is take your time. I know if I dont have time to run a primer tube (100 rounds) without interruption I leave reloading for another day.

Good luck and be safe.

If the 550 is prone to double charges (it isn't any more so than any other press), then an auto indexing press is prone to squibs. It doesn't matter what press you are using, Dillon, Hornady, RCBS, Lee, any of them, if you don't pay attention, bad things will happen.

Getting a new press may help but if there is an issue with your reloading practice you could still have the same problem with a progressive. I does seem the 550 requires a bit more attention to detail but is still an excellent press.

There was someone on the forum a few years ago with similar issues ( couple of squib loads an a kaboom) using a 550.. It came down to pulling cases to do frequent powder checks and just not following thru afterwards. When I had a 550, Here was my method. You need to develop what works for you, this is just what worked for me....

Run a spent primed case through the powder measure only, ten separate times, and weigh each. This may sound like over kill but it takes maybe 2 min to complete. Yes, after measuring, pour powder back in tube and do again.

Once your satisfied your drop is correct, start loading and don't pull cases to do checks. I always did this 200 rounds at a time, spare primer tube ready.

Look in EVERY case when placing bullet.

After 200 rounds, Let the press empty out, get your primer tubes ready, check drop again (I only checked 2drops) and start again.

200rnds a whack gives you a nice break to empty your bin, inspect your loads, check your press, empty your spent primers, re-fill powder tube (I do not let drop below plastic tube) before starting again. Your press should no problem keeping the powder drops accurate over this time frame if your doing your part.

You'll loose just a few minutes doing this but will still have plenty of rounds out of the press and have less chance of getting complacent.

Doing this, you should be able to get a good system down so that if something is wrong you'll be able to recognize it right off. Get a system and stick to it. If someone else is going to use your press, get them to follow your example!!!

However you do it, once you get comfortable that your loading sessions are thorough, your shooting sessions will be more enjoyable knowing that a kaboom isn't waiting on your next shot.

This is a very good routine to get into...It is very similar to mine with my 550.

You should use as much attention in reloading as you do in shooting. Turn off the music, Turn off the TV, no distractions...If someone comes in while you are reloading, ignore them until you get to a "safe stop point", that won't take but a few seconds, but could save you hundreds. And, as the rest have said, stop pulling cases off the machine. If you are running the 550 correctly, there is no way to double charge a case (if you are running it correctly, to double charge a case means you are trying to seat 2 bullets in one case, depriming a case you just primed, and double crimping another case).

PAY ATTENTION!

Edited by GrumpyOne

I am considering a 650 with a powder check even though I have been fortunate not to have your situation. I hope no one got hurt.

Do you know what a double charge looks like in a 9mm cartridge? Since you're looking at the powder at an angle there will be much more powder showing.

Put a case in station #2 and drop one look at it, then another charges and KNOW what the DIFFERENCE it looks like. Look at how high it comes up on the wall of the case. See how much of the powder you actually see at the angle you look at it.

What kind of a reloading quality check sequence do you have in your head? For example every time I index I say to myself - index-powder-bullet. When I say powder I do a visual check on the powder.

Thanks for the courage to bring this up on the forum.

DNH

First sorry to hear. I know it is a a$$hole thing to say but reloading is not for everyone.

I don't think there's a thing wrong with saying it.

As Clint said, "A man's got to know his limitations." I have some real nice friends who are good guys but are just flighty, I don't even volunteer to take them shooting, because I don't trust their sensibility or mannerisms. They'd be a disaster with a reloading press of any kind. I know I don't have a mechanical mind, so I've learned not to take stuff apart unless I pay someone else to put it back together. It's not a bad thing, just what makes us individuals.

Steve, four possibilities, that I can think of:

1. overcharge

2. bullet set back

3. squib load - just as bad - bullet gets stuck in barrel, and next shot does the damage.

4. may have had some material in the empty case onto which you dumped the powder charge.

Can't tell from what you've posted which was the problem - even the first problem you

assumed it was a double charge - that's only one of four alternatives. (And there might

be more alternatives).

Before you fired The Fatal Shot, did you feel or hear anything different than usual?

:cheers:

Titegroup sucks for a number of reasons but one of the biggest reasons is that its "low volume" of powder makes it possible to double and even triple charge before powder spills out everywhere. :( This is one of a few reasons why I would never recommend using Filthgroup, I mean Titegroup!

Thanks again for all the info. I am very aware of my limitations and also am one trained to find out why something happened instead of just jumping to conclusions.

One of the things I did was intentionally double charge a case and yes there is a difference. I have decided to switch from TG to another more bulkier brand.

Additionally I chambered a number of the rounds and measured the OAL and did notice a slight difference. Thus I am working on the crimping and insuring that a bullet being pushed down will not cause more issues as i've experienced.

Thank again for all of your suggestions and time to answer.

Thanks again for all the info. I am very aware of my limitations and also am one trained to find out why something happened instead of just jumping to conclusions.

One of the things I did was intentionally double charge a case and yes there is a difference. I have decided to switch from TG to another more bulkier brand.

Additionally I chambered a number of the rounds and measured the OAL and did notice a slight difference. Thus I am working on the crimping and insuring that a bullet being pushed down will not cause more issues as i've experienced.

Thank again for all of your suggestions and time to answer.

A slight difference shouldn't cause a KABOOM, esp. with that light charge. As mentioned above, squibs could have been the cause.

The crimp is just to get rid of the bell mouth and over crimping lead bullets will just make them tumble. (Yes, plated are pretty much the same as loading lead.)

The bulkier powder and more attention should prevent future problems.

Best wishes!