Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Two guns blown up in five weeks...suggestions?

PapaBonez

Well about a year ago a local competitive shooter with a ton of years reloading experience helped me set up a Dillon 550B for reloading 9mm ammo for my daughter and I to use at matches. Well for the first 10 months things went smooth. The load he suggested that I use was 3.1 gr of Titegroup pushing a 147 gr Berry's bullet.

Six weeks ago, my daughter got distracted while reloading and double charged a round and it cost me a customized Browning HP.

Last night I loaded 100 rounds, with plenty of powder weight checks, and I know I was watching each round as I loaded it yet today one of those reloads blew up a Gen 1 Glock 19 that I've had and fired prob about 200,000 rounds through.

Well now I dont have a clue what is going wrong. Any suggestions? I'm considering changing from Titegroup but right now really am confused and nervous about putting anything I've made into any of my guns till I get this figured out.

So I come here and instead of just reading am making my first post and its one asking for your opinions and thoughts.

Till then,

Stephen

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Visual check before each bullet is placed onto the casing. You'll be able to actually see if there is a double charge. Attention to detail is really all you can do. There are some powders that may fill your casing more then others and if you double charge, some may spill out or at least the case will be very full and obvious that it is a double charge. I can't tell you which powders those are because I don't know but I'm sure someone on here can.

Man I hate to her this! :surprise: I have a 550 and I LOOK into each brass before I place the bullet. Sorry

Yup, look at every case.

A small pen light sits real good at an angle in the tool holder center hole and provides good light of the shell plate holder.

I'm glad to read there wasn't any physical damage.

I don't know how full the case is with titegroup but use a powder that you can not double charge with. Buy some of those led lights they sell to brighten up the area. Check each case before putting in a bullet. You would will be able to tell if the level is close to the same in each case.

Sorry to hear about your guns and hope no one was injured. I also use the 550 and used titegroup. I only loaded a few rounds and quit using the powder because of the small amount used. You can easily double charge or even triple charge and it could be easy not to notice. I wll not use a powder that a double charge will not fill the case almost to the top. I also look in the case to visually inspect before indexing. Titegroup shot great but just not the powder for me.

canthit

I'd be looking at possible bullet set back. Push a loaded round against a bench and see if the bullet moves into the case. You could also chamber a round a coule times and then measure it's oal.

Edited by mscott

Before each loading session, weigh about 5 charges just in case something changed. Get one of those flexible work lights and position it to shine into each case at the charging station. You have to be practically OCD when you are reloading. No distractions of any kind and when you start having trouble paying attention, stop and take a break.

Good luck.

I'd be looking at possible bullet set back. Push a loaded round against a bench and see if the bullet moves into the case. You could also chamber a round a coule times and then measre it's oal.

Especially if using old brass.

Thanks for the replies. I was very cautious this last time after my daughters oops and installed a LED light right over the powder stage but then again, with 3.1 gr I might not be able to tell if it double fed. At least thought I was cautious.

I am likely to switch to a bulkier powder and will defiantly check the OAL after seating chambering it. The first time I can understand a double powder as my daughter was distracted, but my OCD was in overdrive when reloading this time and heck I even measured the powder every 10th round just to make sure.

Brass was virgin pre-primed so I'm doubting it was a brass issue. I really do appreciate the comments.

I slept on this because I don't want to come off as a jerk. By your own admission either you or your daughter have double charged loads and blown up guns. I am of course glad that you and your daughter are ok!

Reloading is a very meticulous task. You have to multitask, and devote your attention to it 100%. If not, you or others can get hurt. It is that simple.

Almost all the double charges I have heard of were on manual rotating machines like the 550.

You either need to get a Firm routine going while loading and not deviate from it, or have someone else reload for you. Believe me, I understand distractions. When I am loading and get pulled away from the machines, I dump the powder from the stations and start up again, whatever machine I am running as a precaution.

I say this trying to help. I have some friends that can't reload. They just don' t have the attention span, and that is OK. We are all different. Hopefully you have figured out how to devote all your attention to that task when you are doing it. The next person that could get hurt is an RO or anyone standing next to you.

Take your time, pay attention, and enjoy your new hobby!

If you need anything, just ask. I would have loved to have this forum when I was just starting reloading!!!!!

Good luck,

DougC