Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

About to place my order....did I miss anything?

Please note that otherwise then brass, primers, bullets and powder, I don't have anything to start with.

Dillon XL 650 in 38 Super/9mm $ 566.95

Primer Flip Tray $ 20.95

Reloading Manual - Lyman #49 $ 24.95

Dillon 223/5.56 3-Die Set - Carbide $ 152.95

Dillon 9mm Stainless Case Gage $ 15.45

BE650

650 - As it should BE - Upgrade $ 128.95

650 Toolholder with Wrench Set $ 29.95

Powder Check System - 650/1050 only $ 68.95

650 Press Instructional DVD $ 19.95

Purchase Subtotal:

$ 1,029.05

Shipping: U.S. Shipping Rate 0.00International Shipping Rate 12.99

Purchase Total:

$ 1,029.05

Edited by dtt255

scale and calipers and chrono :cheers:

Ahh yes.....

I see .223 dies, but no caliber conversion kit.

So do I need the 223 caliber conversion or the deluxe quick change kit?

Im confused.

Can I make a suggestion... cancel this order, and do some reading on BE's FAQ's, so you can come to a conclusion of not only what equipment you need, but what you need to run that equipment.

The Deluxe Caliber conversion... is not the caliber conversion... It's a "Deluxe Quick Change" kit.. which includes a toolhead stand, powder measure, and toolhead.

You need a caliber conversion (ie, shell plate, locator buttons, etc.). That.. you will absolutely need. After that, you probably *want* a toolhead(about $40). Otherwise, you'll have to constantly reset your dies as you share a toolhead between 9mm and .223.

You talking about you don't want to buy stuff you don't need, etc.. but you really need to research this purchase a bit. Dillon makes top notch stuff, but buying to much is almost as bad as buying not enough.

so I added:

650 Deluxe Quick Change Kit $ 107.95

Casefeed Plate - Small Rifle (650/1050) $ 38.95

right?

You also need a .223 caliber conversion kit. The Deluxe Quick change kit, has more to do with the dies and the powder measure. The caliber conversion kit, is the shell plate, locator buttons, etc.. so you can use your .223 brass.

scale and calipers and chrono :cheers:

Ahh yes.....

I see .223 dies, but no caliber conversion kit.

So do I need the 223 caliber conversion or the deluxe quick change kit?

Im confused.

Can I make a suggestion... cancel this order, and do some reading on BE's FAQ's, so you can come to a conclusion of not only what equipment you need, but what you need to run that equipment.

The Deluxe Caliber conversion... is not the caliber conversion... It's a "Deluxe Quick Change" kit.. which includes a toolhead stand, powder measure, and toolhead.

You need a caliber conversion (ie, shell plate, locator buttons, etc.). That.. you will absolutely need. After that, you probably *want* a toolhead(about $40). Otherwise, you'll have to constantly reset your dies as you share a toolhead between 9mm and .223.

You talking about you don't want to buy stuff you don't need, etc.. but you really need to research this purchase a bit. Dillon makes top notch stuff, but buying to much is almost as bad as buying not enough.

I appriciate this advise and will follow it. I have been reading and reading. I feel I have a good understanding on the basics, it is just a matter of the details I don't think I can fully grasp until I am doing it. Some of the details of the caliber changes is still confusing. (obviously)

Ok I have re-thought this....

I think the best thing for me to do right now, being that I am a RAW BEGINNER at this...is to get the 650 with all needed for one caliber. Start and learn how to do it without issues, learn how to use the machine, the intricacies and issues that will arrive and how to handle them. Then move on to another caliber.

From what I have read also, reloading rifle is different then pistol From case prep to the finished product is much more precise. So I think it is best to get comfortable with pistol then do rifle.

Doesn't mean I wont collect the items to do rifle....brass, bullets, primers, powder. Just wont start yet.

Better way to go?

Thanks

Edited by dtt255

I think the best thing for me to do right now, being that I am a RAW BEGINNER at this...is to get the 650 with all needed for one caliber. Start and learn how to do it without issues, learn how to use the machine, the intricacies and issues that will arrive and how to handle them. Then move on to another caliber.

From what I have read also, reloading rifle is different then pistol From case prep to the finished product is much more precise. So I think it is best to get comfortable with pistol then do rifle.

Doesn't mean I wont collect the items to do rifle....brass, bullets, primers, powder. Just wont start yet.

Better way to go?

Thanks

I think that's a pretty good idea. Get what you need to load 9mm, learn the ins and outs of pistol reloading... then proceed to rifle.

Curious, how much 9mm do you shoot a month normally? You might find a 550 will more than meet your needs. Not trying to push you one way or the other.. I have a 650 and love it, but honestly.. I could probably get by w/ a 550 no problem.

Better way to go?

Thanks

I think that's a pretty good idea. Get what you need to load 9mm, learn the ins and outs of pistol reloading... then proceed to rifle.

Curious, how much 9mm do you shoot a month normally? You might find a 550 will more than meet your needs. Not trying to push you one way or the other.. I have a 650 and love it, but honestly.. I could probably get by w/ a 550 no problem.

I shoot maybe total of 700-1000 rounds a month. Between my pistols and rifles. I believe I would shoot more if I was reloading.

I have looked at the 550 and it looks great, but the manual indexing doesn't interest me at all. Just seem , to me, like I can screw up more. I would like to get a machine where once I am understanding how to do the basics, I can grow with the machine. Eventually getting the case and bullet feeder and making, etc.

What about .223 case gauge?

Why are you ordering carbide .223 dies?

What about a trimmer for .223 and a SuperSwage or other tool to deal with crimped primer pockets?

Do you already have, or plan to buy someone else's case lube? Even with the carbide dies, you have to lube .223 before resizing.

Most people seem to like to have multiple tool heads (at least one per caliber) and for rifle calibers its common to have 2 per caliber, one setup just for resizing/decapping, and a second setup for charging/seating/crimping.

I took out anything that wasn't related to my 9mm reloading. I realized, after great advise here, that I was running before I walked.

So my setup is a basic 650 with the 'as it should be ' upgrade and all needed to 9mm. That's all.

I'll deal with rifle after I learn and comfy with pistol 9mm and others.

It's definitely a good idea to learn reloading on pistol calibers first, but when I bought my press through Brian, I knew I'd eventually be reloading every caliber I shot (other than .22lr and shotgun)...so I ordered just about everything I thought I'd need through him all at once to save on shipping. Then, just put all the rifle stuff away until I was comfortable doing 9mm and .45.