Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

If you had $1,100 to spend on Production Gun....

biscuit

No gun change can make you a better shooter...either better fit or masking poor technique.

Went from Glock to the M&P and it was a good choice for me. Take the above suggestion to try a bunch in actual drills. Might want to consider the new FNS 5" competition too.

Any idea when these will be available? I have a 4" FNS and if I can get a decent trigger job on it, it has potential.

M&Ps, XD/XDM, GLOCK, and CZ rule production. CZ seems to be picking up in popularity but as I like the feel of the gun I hated the DA/SA and it's picky on primers sometimes as they said bout having to change springs. Try them and see what you like.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Up until not too long ago I'd be saying "Shadow" too... Nowadays though I say grab yourself a $430ish Grand Power K100 Mk7 (used to be STI GP6) plus sights, extended mag release, holster, pouches, extra mags and a case of ammo.

Why? The K100's out-of-the-box trigger is f'ing bananas, that's why. Better than a Shadow's? if you're talking a standard one, then yes.

Now, I won't get too carried away and say that it's trigger is better than a Shadow Custom's that's had "the works" (meaning 13lb or less hammer-spring, competition hammer, action job ala Stuart/Mink and SRT trigger-mod), but I have zero problem saying that it's really damn close, and better than any Shadow that hasn't had the kitchen sink thrown at it. In fact, unless you pony-up for the CZ-Customs SRT modification ($130-300), there's no other pistols on the planet that can do the same trick of where the trigger has no take-up after the first DA pull and basically turns itself into a 1911 in SA mode. Though, the K100 trigger-reset still might actually be shorter, it's shorter than a 1911's, and think the shortest of anything out there (if that matters).

I first got one because I found it hard not to look at the K100 as a "Po' man's Shadow" and wanted to try one, but since, I've come to really appreciate it for more than that and dig it in it's own right as it really is an innovative piece with lots of it's other unique features.

For me, I dig that it came out of the box more or less how I set up my Shadows: the safeties are already like the Shadow "Thin Safeties" (I positively hate the standard/stock Shadow safeties and swap them out as soon as I can, YMMV), the grip is close to the width of how a Shadow feels with VZ or AL grips slapped on it (except you can play with the different K100 backstraps to go from CZ-ish, to a 1911 straight/arched feel, to even a Glock 17/34ish feel which is cool), and it has a built-in trigger job with SRT-mod already GTG. Also, the GP is lighter than a Shadow, but heavier than a Glock or M&P, kind of an "in-between" that's not too heavy and not too light.

Sorry to sound like such a salesman, I'm just really digging mine, and have owned and shot enough nice pistols with pretty much every one costing a lot more $$$ to get triggers even near the K100's. They're worth taking a hard look at, I think now that they're being offered at a better price-point than STI tried, and that it's one of the very few buys out there that is actually probably under-priced in these days of $800-Glock-madness they might catch on as guys check them out.

Edited by ck1

Kick in another $200.00 and get a CZ SP01 Custom from CZ Custom Shop and have Stuart Wong to his trigger work. If you can put your hands on one you really should give it a try before making the final decision. I love mine :)

Up until not too long ago I'd be saying "Shadow" too... Nowadays though I say grab yourself a $430ish Grand Power K100 Mk7 (used to be STI GP6) plus sights, extended mag release, holster, pouches, extra mags and a case of ammo.

Why? The K100's out-of-the-box trigger is f'ing bananas, that's why. Better than a Shadow's? if you're talking a standard one, then yes.

Now, I won't get too carried away and say that it's trigger is better than a Shadow Custom's that's had "the works" (meaning 13lb or less hammer-spring, competition hammer, action job ala Stuart/Mink and SRT trigger-mod), but I have zero problem saying that it's really damn close, and better than any Shadow that hasn't had the kitchen sink thrown at it. In fact, unless you pony-up for the CZ-Customs SRT modification ($130-300), there's no other pistols on the planet that can do the same trick of where the trigger has no take-up after the first DA pull and basically turns itself into a 1911 in SA mode. Though, the K100 trigger-reset still might actually be shorter, it's shorter than a 1911's, and think the shortest of anything out there (if that matters).

I first got one because I found it hard not to look at the K100 as a "Po' man's Shadow" and wanted to try one, but since, I've come to really appreciate it for more than that and dig it in it's own right as it really is an innovative piece with lots of it's other unique features.

For me, I dig that it came out of the box more or less how I set up my Shadows: the safeties are already like the Shadow "Thin Safeties" (I positively hate the standard/stock Shadow safeties and swap them out as soon as I can, YMMV), the grip is close to the width of how a Shadow feels with VZ or AL grips slapped on it (except you can play with the different K100 backstraps to go from CZ-ish, to a 1911 straight/arched feel, to even a Glock 17/34ish feel which is cool), and it has a built-in trigger job with SRT-mod already GTG. Also, the GP is lighter than a Shadow, but heavier than a Glock or M&P, kind of an "in-between" that's not too heavy and not too light.

Sorry to sound like such a salesman, I'm just really digging mine, and have owned and shot enough nice pistols with pretty much every one costing a lot more $$$ to get triggers even near the K100's. They're worth taking a hard look at, I think now that they're being offered at a better price-point than STI tried, and that it's one of the very few buys out there that is actually probably under-priced in these days of $800-Glock-madness they might catch on as guys check them out.

Where can you actually get one?

J&G. Dawson has sights (along with Shooters Connection) and the extended mag release (look for STI GP6 parts). Blade-Tech and Comp-Tac make kydex for them (again, look under STI GP6). Mags are backordered like every freakin' other gun due to the doomsday panic...

Edited by ck1

J&G. Dawson has sights (along with Shooters Connection) and the extended mag release (look for STI GP6 parts). Blade-Tech and Comp-Tac make kydex for them (again, look under STI GP6). Mags are backordered like every freakin' other gun due to the doomsday panic...

Sorry, I meant the gun. Bud's doesn't list them