Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

If you had $1,100 to spend on Production Gun....

biscuit

I am in the market right now and I am trying to stay with production class guns in 9mm. I shoot a P30 right now but I was wondering what other guns might be a good fit. I love my P30, fits my hand I just would like to get a longer barrel (maybe 5') and better trigger action. I'm still new to the sport and have limited experince with other guns. I would appreicate any suggestion.

XD's are great, but I'll venture to say that most folks don't lke the trigger pull, and end up spending a little money for some custom work on the trigger. For 5' or over you have the choice between the XD Tactical, and the new 5.25 competition ready XDM. Even with a trigger job, either gun would keep you under $1,000.

The $11,00 gun that fits you best and you shoot best.

Try the CZ's, STI's, XD's Glocks etc. At the next practice match tell people you're looking and what they like about their gun. You'll probably get offers to try theirs afterwards. Take them up on it! They've probably went through buying a gun and then buying another to find the right one for them. Wisdom is knowledge shared and you'll find that at a practice match. But be careful which path you take.

You can get a personal idea on what makes, models, triggers, sights etc. to be able to come up with your $1,100 gun. You might even get an offer for a sweet used one someone has.

Why $1,100? The cost of ammo is going to overshadow the cost of the gun. If you give yourself an extra $500 to $900 on your budget you're in the range of the best custom used pistols. That's why I included in try a STI.

Oh yeah, it's got to look good to you, you're not going to shoot a gun you consider ugly. But that's for the 1911 forums. :roflol:

Have fun shopping!

DNH

Edited by daves_not_here

G34 $600

3 mags $100

BT DOH $70

Belt $60

6 kytex pouches $90

sights $70

Total $990 with 6 mags and 6 mag pouches you're set.

Before anyone tells me this is off, I recently updated from a g17 to g34 here's my cost break down from that

G34 $535

Mags (11) $80 (got some good deals and 6 mags between the g17 and g34 purchases)

Pouches comptac belt feed $130

kytex gear (2) $35

BMP belt $80

BT DOH $70

Dawson sights $70

Total $1000

+ 1 glock, parts are more available and cheaper to trick them out. i swithced from an sw mp to glock now have 3 glocks. looking for more. the mp was a nice shooting gun fit the hands great and the grip angle was perfect for me. but got used to the glock quick and havent looked back. im not a brand hater i would got to a local gun store and try them all out because they all feel different. and get what feels the best to you as they all are quality guns. its just a matter of do you want to stay in production or also try limited or limited 10. which you could easily do with a glock 35 or even a g34.

I started glock and loved it. Thought I would try the next level and went cz shadow. The learning of two trigger pulls the added weight on transitions and issues I had stripping her down made me miss my glock. Oh and the cz need maintaince every 5-7 thousand rds springs and extractors need to be changed. Too much for me, I sold out and bought back a 34 and had money left over for a Ar build.

No gun change can make you a better shooter...either better fit or masking poor technique.

Went from Glock to the M&P and it was a good choice for me. Take the above suggestion to try a bunch in actual drills. Might want to consider the new FNS 5" competition too.

I have had g17's, g34's and 35's and are all good guns for the price. BUT, I recently bought an M&P 9mm Pro and would not go back to a Glock. I like the balance and looks a little better. You can't really go wrong with a Glock, M&P or a XD as a good production gun. Like the post above said, find friends and fellow shooters that will let you try thier guns to see which YOU prefer.

I shoot a STI Steelmaster in open, but I am now building my M&P into an opengun for multigun.

Good luck.

I'm more than happy with my G34's and G35's. They aren't pricey (granted it was a little while ago, but I bought two for the $1100 you have to spend), they're easy to mod and upgrade with DIY "gunsmithing" which consists of buying modular parts and dropping them in the gun, they shoot better than I do, and have been remarkably reliable. Are they pretty? No, but pretty guns don't shoot better - a D class vs a GM performance depends on the shooter, not the gun, and I'd rather shoot well than look good while tanking a run.