Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

About to pick up a G17. Gen 3 or 4?

RAZZ

Gen 4 pros: some like the grip texture ( not me)

Reversible mag button for lefties.

Modular blackstrap allows for slight modification of grip feel. (Nearly imperceptible for many from med to no MBS)

Gen 4 cons:

As sprung from the factory will NOT reliably run low powered ammo. Reloads or even some factory 115 grain will not cycle reliably. This is due to the gen 4 two stage spring. The fix is to purchase an aftermarket guide rod and lighter spring.

Trigger is worse.

Reversible mag catch is worthless without a left release cut mag.

Not as many aftermarket parts and upgrades for the gen 4.

If you just want a working gun the 4 is fine.

If you like to tinker or plan on competing, or loading/ shooting cheap ammo stick with the 3!

This is really something you are going to have to answer yourself. I didn't like the grip on the Gen4 and went with a Gen 3. One of my friends prefers the Gen4 grip due to having smaller hands and being able to switch the backstrap so it fits better. Main reason to me to buy the Gen4 is the reversable safety which is a must for a lefty, or if you have smaller hands.

Go to a gunshop and try both out and see how they feel in your hands.

As others have noted the reversible mag release is the clincher for me. Gen 3 & 4 run the same to me, but I am a righty and have short fingers and find it easier to reverse the mag release and hit with my right index finger.

added bonus is 3 mags with Gen 4's vs. 2 with Gen 3's

Gen 4. Just about everyone replaces the guiderod anyway, even on a Gen 3. Plus, the grip texture is better out of the box. I don't feel the need to stipple it. And the mag release comes a little farther rearward in the frame, makes it easier for me to reach it without the possibility of ejecting the mag on a loaded table start.

i have to 2 gen3s and 1 gen 4. i like the gen 3s better but my son likes the gen 4 due to the mag release like a.roberts said. i only got the gen 4 as my other son is a lefty so when the time comes for him to start competeting it will be easier for him. have to try them both out. either way you still cant go wrong there glocks

It really depends race or carry. My race glocks are gen 3, carry glock is gen 4. The guide rod situation on the gen 3 means you can drop in ismi 13 lb spring and rock it in production. The gen 4 revised recoil spring assy works 100% with my carry ammo, 0 failures over about 2000 +p rounds (+ power striker spring, 0.25 cent trigger job with 3.5 connector). If your left handed get a gen4, if not it's really personal preference. Put both in your hands and then decide.

I have a Gen 2 17, Gen 4 34 and 35 and I've shot the Gen 3 in all three. I prefer the Gen 4 because of the modular backstrap. I have large hands and the largest backstrap lets me get more meat on the grip. I thought I would like no backstrap at first and after a while switched in the largest. Didn't feel great in my hand but my finger just landed in the right spot on the trigger.

The texture is okay, but I put skate tape on all of mine anyway. If you are looking to shoot light loads in 9 you might need to change the recoil spring, but my 124 grain loads are right where I want them for minor (about 130 PF) and they function 100%. For me I really don't shoot lighter loads so no issue.

My recommendation is try shooting with each backstrap on the gen 4 if at all possible and make your choice based on that comparison with the Gen 3. Either way, you won't go too wrong, it's a glock.

• 1 month later...

I think the gen3 trigger feels better out of the box than the 4.

Yes for sure, shorter over travel too. I got a Vanek GM to get my 34 Gen 4 closer to my 19 Gen 3. It's still different and every Gen 3 I've handled from 26 to 17 to 35 had a better trigger but they all differed from each other. So weird.