Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shipping a gun through FFL

I use a local guy to do my transfers. He does a great job dialing the number and collecting only $15 for it.

But I asked him if he would ship my gun to Matt for some work and he said he would transfer and ship it for $40. Shipping a gun to a gunsmith does not require a transfer right?

I'm trying to avoid the whole $80 shipping cost through UPS. An FFL can just drop a gun in a flat rate box right?

diehli- have you used that USAA discount? I'd like to do it but it looks like you have to calculate postage at home. The only time I do that is if I ship USPS in flat rate..

Do you have to calculate at home?

I have, many times. I set up an account with FedEx and print the labels through FedEx's website. Helps to have a postal scale, but not a big deal to estimate with a bathroom scale.

Jerry, if you're watching your packages take off and land around the country, you have waaayyyy too much time on your hands. Might I recommend CSPAN or the NASA channel as an alternative? You're too far north to watch the grass grow...

I use a local guy to do my transfers. He does a great job dialing the number and collecting only $15 for it.

But I asked him if he would ship my gun to Matt for some work and he said he would transfer and ship it for $40. Shipping a gun to a gunsmith does not require a transfer right?

I'm trying to avoid the whole $80 shipping cost through UPS. An FFL can just drop a gun in a flat rate box right?

To answer your question, Yes you are transferring to the FFL. He logs it into HIS book from you and then transfers from him to Matt under his FFL. When you get it back, he has to do a 4473.

As others have said, for gun work, you are better shipping it yourself.

I know several gunsmiths who refuse to use the USPS. Too unreliable, and too much red tape if you do have to file a claim.

When I was working in a camera store where we shipped between 50-60K of inventory everyday, we learned that lesson very quickly. UPS on the other hand paid promptly when there was a claim. Of course that was almost 20 years ago....

Yup, just stick it in a box and ship it UPS. I've shipped over 5 guns via UPS Next Day Air Saver, and I always ship my Ammo to Nats via UPS. Never had a problem with any shipment.

Like others have said USPS is a bear to try and file a claim thru. I once shipped a rifle via USPS. A Universal M1 Carbine knock-off to a guy in another state, and upon arrival the stock was broken. But I bought the extra ins. so I looked up the policies, and it said the recipient had to file the claim. So after 3 months of fighting with the Post Office I think the guy finally got reimbursed. But Gah ... what a hassle.

Trust me folks .... Always ALWAYS ALWAYS get the insurance. I'll never understand why folks spend over $2,000 / $3,000 / sometimes even $4,000 on a custom Race Gun and then try and pinch pennies on the little stuff.